Opening zip failed (Linux)

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Hedgepig23
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Opening zip failed (Linux)

Post by Hedgepig23 »

I recently purchased the game and have been playing it on my laptop which runs on Ubuntu 14.04. After buying a new PC a few days ago, I want to transfer my save from my laptop to the PC which also runs on Ubuntu 14.04.
After placing the save files in the correct place and running the game, I get an error saying 'Opening zip /home/Hedgepig23/downloads/factorio/saves/save1.zip failed.'. Trying to extract the files gives me the error 'An error occurred while loading the archive.' which after googling reveals that happens when trying to extract a Windows file. Can anyone please help me solve this problem?

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Opening zip failed (Linux)

Post by prg »

Did the file get corrupted somehow? Maybe compare md5sum before and after copying.
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

Hedgepig23
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Hedgepig23 »

prg wrote:Did the file get corrupted somehow? Maybe compare md5sum before and after copying.
What is md5sum?

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

Some tool to calculate checksums of files. Should be part of coreutils, so just run md5sum save1.zip and compare output on both systems.
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

Hedgepig23
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Hedgepig23 »

After checking the md5sums, they are indeed different. I tried transferring the save through another mean and that was different too. Is there a way I can safely transfer my save data without corruption?

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

Not sure what you already did that destroyed your data, but scp should be reasonably simple and safe.
Depending on which machine you're on, something like

scp remotehost:/path/to/save1.zip /path/to/factorio/saves/

or

scp /path/to/save1.zip remotehost:/path/to/factorio/saves/

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Unless your equipment is damaged or hacked, all data transfer methods should transfer without corruption.
Right?

Assuming we're talking about regular methods like flash drives and computer networks.
Did you use something considerably more weird?

Hedgepig23
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Hedgepig23 »

My laptop that it was originally on is begging to be put down, so I'm assuming the corruption was from the laptop itself and not from the USB I transferred it with.
Regardless, i fixed my problem by downloading Dropbox on both systems, changing my save file location to inside dropbox and then moved the files into there. I have had no corruptions since and it allows me to play on the same file on both systems too.

Return to “Technical Help”