Invalid bool loaded from input file. File could be corrupted

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Bane203
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Invalid bool loaded from input file. File could be corrupted

Post by Bane203 »

Hi. All my files, including my autosaves, got corrupted. This is the first time this has happened. The error thrown is "Invalid bool loaded from input file. File could be corrupted". I tried asking for the fix at the subreddit but was told to make a post here instead. Is there a chance to recover the files? I lost quite a bit of progress.
I have attached the save with this post for reference. Apologies if I am missing anything in the post: this is my first time posting.
Attachments
Return of the king.zip
(11.04 MiB) Downloaded 36 times

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Invalid bool loaded from input file. File could be corrupted

Post by Stringweasel »

An option might be to enable "log-stack-trace-on-non-critical-exception" (in the config/ the rest settings), to get a better idea of where the corruption occured. A developer Bilka told me to try it when I had a similar issue here viewtopic.php?p=565998#p565998. This might only tell you where the issue is though, not fix it.
Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

Bane203
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bane203 »

Stringweasel wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:25 pm
An option might be to enable "log-stack-trace-on-non-critical-exception" (in the config/ the rest settings), to get a better idea of where the corruption occured. A developer Bilka told me to try it when I had a similar issue here viewtopic.php?p=565998#p565998. This might only tell you where the issue is though, not fix it.
Hi. Thank you for the reply. I am not sure how to enable this setting. I tried to google it but couldn't find a helpful answer. Could you please guide me through it.
Sorry...I am very new to this type of thing.

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Stringweasel »

No problem. I'm not 100% sure, but I think in the Main Menu click on Settings (Options? I'm not at my PC) while holding shift (or control?). This will give you to the settings menu with an additional button called "The Rest" or something. These are basically debug options that the developers use. In there should be a setting called "log-stack-trace-on-non-critical-exception". If you then try to open your save it will log the error in the log file, which you can find as shown here.

Just to note, this will not fix the issue, just maybe tell you where it is. Fixing it will likely require a developer, or an older working save.

And remember to disable the setting again after you're done.
Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Stringweasel wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:23 pm
No problem. I'm not 100% sure, but I think in the Main Menu click on Settings [...] while holding shift (or control?).
Ctrl + Alt
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Bane203
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bane203 »

Thank you for the help. I guess I will wait for a fix from one of the developers because I have no idea what I am doing haha.

Bane203
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bane203 »

Hi. Just wanted to boost this post. If there is any info needed from my end, do let me know

Bane203
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bane203 »

Hi. Here's the latest log file in case this helps.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(8.61 KiB) Downloaded 39 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I looked at the save file and the corruption continues well after the first corrupt part detected. As far as I can tell there's no recovering the save.

Unless you know of a way to reproduce the corruption in Factorio my go-to is to blame faulty hardware (failing RAM or failing disk/SSD). So far nobody has ever been able to reproduce save corruption and or eventually found their hardware was going bad. But I'm still open to the possibility that something on our end could cause it (if it was; then we could fix it)
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Bane203
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bane203 »

Gotcha. Thanks for looking into it.
I got BSOD around the time I was playing the game (though not during it) with the error MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. That could be the issue possibly, in case it helps with future debugging.

Return to “Technical Help”