[1.1.76] Crash when auto-saving

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
masternc
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.76] Crash when auto-saving

Post by masternc »

Hi,
I'm really tired of getting game crashes when it tries to auto-save the game. Numerous crashes, constantly.
Here are the logs.
Krastorio2+Space Exploration
Attachments
player-data.json
(9.45 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
factorio-previous.log
(65.25 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
factorio-dump-previous.dmp
(1020.51 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
factorio-current.log
(59.08 KiB) Downloaded 35 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [1.1.76] Crash when auto-saving

Post by Loewchen »

The crash suggests system instability. If you can reproduce the crash reliably, post a save and exact steps that make it crash.

masternc
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by masternc »

The crash suggests system instability. If you can reproduce the crash reliably, post a save end exact steps that make it crash.
I can't. Crash ratio is approximately 5-10% of each game save (auto-save is every 15 minutes). It leaves empty tmp file every time it crashes. I'd like to know more about this instability.
So, in the middle of the game, when it's time to auto-save, the game shows auto-save progress and then crashes in a couple seconds, showing 'crash' dialog. The progress bar is just zero. Not sure how to reproduce it.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Remove any overclock including xmp and update your bios, you can also try to increase cpu and memory voltages if you know what you are doing.

masternc
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by masternc »

Wow, that's a lot of advice. I can do that once, just to test the stability, but it doesn't make sense to keep stock settings all the time. Just because:
1. I didn't buy overclockable hardware just for keeping it at factory settings, and
2. All other software works just fine on current settings, it's just factorio crashing. I'd better get rid of factorio than of overclocking.
Bios is the latest.
CPU is on recommended voltage, memory is already on higher voltage as it's overclocked.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

masternc wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:31 am
2. All other software works just fine on current settings, it's just factorio crashing. I'd better get rid of factorio than of overclocking.
[..]
memory is already on higher voltage as it's overclocked.
Factorio is more sensitive to any instabilities in memory related operations as it stores and works more with things in memory than other games do. But it should be possible to play Factorio on overclocked hardware. It just needs to be stable.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

masternc wrote:
1. I didn't buy overclockable hardware just for keeping it at factory settings, and
Given hardware that can be configured to run at overclocked settings, being able to do so and maintain stability is literally (by definition) not guaranteed. Sometimes you get (un)lucky.
2. All other software works just fine on current settings, it's just factorio crashing.
Plenty of people have said similar to this before they ran dedicated memory testing software, which I recommend you do.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

masternc wrote:
Wow, that's a lot of advice. I can do that once, just to test the stability, but it doesn't make sense to keep stock settings all the time. Just because:
Bios is the latest.
CPU is on recommended voltage, memory is already on higher voltage as it's overclocked.
You just have an instable overclock, if factorio crashes. You found the perfect bench for memory, if you want to see it that way.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

masternc
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by masternc »

Thank you all, that sounds... unusual, from my own experience. Just for the sake of comparison, I'll keep it running on factory settings and see how stable Factorio is.

Return to “Technical Help”