[1.1.72] Steam Deck low resolution in docked Gaming Mode

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
ExultedCthulhu
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.1.72] Steam Deck low resolution in docked Gaming Mode

Post by ExultedCthulhu »

My apologies if this isn't the correct place, i wasn't sure if it was a bug or just a niche situation that was simply overlooked.

On the Steam Deck using an external HDMI display:
If you start Factorio while in Desktop Mode the game will run at your native resolution. However, if you start the game under Gaming Mode it will run at a lower resolution (my guess is the built-in 800p). It would be much appreciated to have the resolution adapt in Gaming Mode if an external display is attached/detached, that way Deck users can switch to/from a dock without having to stop, change modes and relaunch the game.

This occurred with both the official Steam Deck Docking Station and a portable Anker dock on my 1440p monitor (likely occurs at other resolutions but i only have this to test on).

Absolutely love the game though. Already sunk 500hrs into my first save and finally almost at 1.2kspm (curse you, modules!) :-)

cbhj1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [1.1.72] Steam Deck low resolution in docked Gaming Mode

Post by cbhj1 »

Steam Deck has an option in the game properties for adjusting the resolution, this is the likely cause. In Steam open up the properties for the game and it should be on the general tab.

ExultedCthulhu
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ExultedCthulhu »

Mm, just tried that and it didn’t seem to help. Whatever resolution you start with you’re stuck with, and it seems to start with 800p no matter what in Gaming Mode.

Panzerknacker
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Panzerknacker »

I had the same problem, you gotta go to the steam deck settings, select the proper native resolution for the external display. Then in the Factorio settings (not in game but like the game's properties) you need to set resolution to Native. If I remember all of this correctly. Try it, and let me know if it worked, I know that Factorio works great on my Deck with external 21:9 monitor.

ExultedCthulhu
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ExultedCthulhu »

Well, good news bad news.

Good news is that @Panzerknacker solution worked for starting the game in the proper resolution under Gaming Mode. Thank you very much!

Bad news is that the game doesn't detect, or at least readjust, if the resolution changes by connecting/disconnecting an external display. Truthfully i have no idea if games on the deck even have the access to do that in Gaming Mode but if so i do hope it can be added to the to-do pile. While i can now enjoy Factorio in Gaming Mode while docked, i cannot switch between docked mode and handheld without restarting the game as the resolution is locked to whatever it started in. 1440p text on an 800p screen craps the bed as shown in the screenshot below, let alone not having the interface rescale so everything gets a little harder to see. Plus it introduces black bars with a 16:9 image on a 16:10 display so overall it’s just not enjoyable and necessitates a reload. It’s not a huge deal for me since i have a relatively small world/mod combo so the game loads quickly, it’s just an inconvenience that im hoping can be ironed out in the future for a smoother experience for all.

As an aside the game does readjust the interface in Desktop Mode when running as a window and changing its size or switching in and out of fullscreen so the mechanics are there, hopefully they can also be applied to Gaming Mode. 🤞
screenshot of poorly rendered text
screenshot of poorly rendered text
factorio.jpg (234.78 KiB) Viewed 4329 times

Return to “Technical Help”