Mac M1 Escape key does not work!

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Bitrazr
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Mac M1 Escape key does not work!

Post by Bitrazr »

Hello,

I recently got the game to play around on my Mac mini M1 and unfortunately the escape key does not work. I cannot open up the main menu with it. I searched the forums and tried to find posts but I don't see anything.

Help!

Bitrazr
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Mac M1 Escape key does not work!

Post by Bitrazr »

So doing some experimentation, I pulled up my visual keyboard on Mac which indeed registers that the escape button is being pressed; the game is not. Looks like this is indeed a bug. If anyone else is running into this, I rebound the escape key to caps lock which appears to be working for the game menu.

Can anyone assist with some other stuff I can try or let me know if this is being worked on? Thanks for your help.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

iOS has a special way to handle hotkeys, coming from Windows/Linux
Maybe you have rebound ESC to something else in system settings, which is handled with prio.
f.e. if I press Command-Q, factorio quits. I can't rebind it in the game, if have to free the combination first in system settings.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Bitrazr wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:37 pm
Hello,

I recently got the game to play around on my Mac mini M1 and unfortunately the escape key does not work. I cannot open up the main menu with it. I searched the forums and tried to find posts but I don't see anything.

Help!
Funny - on my MacBook Air M2 the escape key works as it should

castle
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by castle »

I am also having this issue on my M1 MacBook Pro. The escape key stopped being recognized in-game as soon as the new Silicon Mac update was released. Talked about here: https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-371

Bitrazr
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Bitrazr »

Why even make a version for Mac if something as basic as Esc does not work? I mean yes, there may be workarounds that suffice after experimentation but then what is the purpose of making the game specifically for Mac? I'd almost rather use a virtual machine with Windows but then that would have only happened if this was Windows only, not Windows and Mac.

First world problems haha

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

Bitrazr wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:06 am
Why even make a version for Mac if something as basic as Esc does not work? I mean yes, there may be workarounds that suffice after experimentation but then what is the purpose of making the game specifically for Mac? I'd almost rather use a virtual machine with Windows but then that would have only happened if this was Windows only, not Windows and Mac.

First world problems haha
Escape key works fine for me on an M1 MBP, so presumably this problem isn’t widespread, or else lots of others would have reported it.
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

StrangePan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by StrangePan »

I was also unable to reproduce this problem. Is this problem still affecting you? Are other applications on your machine recognising the ESC key?

Return to “Technical Help”