High resolution sprites in GeForce Now

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
srfin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

High resolution sprites in GeForce Now

Post by srfin »

It appears that GeForce Now forces the sprite resolution to "normal" on startup. Because changing to "high" requires restart it seems there is no way I can play with high-resolution sprites.

Is there any way to get around this? Maybe --graphics-quality=high could help, but there doesn't seem to be any way to set this on GeForce Now.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: High resolution sprites in GeForce Now

Post by posila »

The HW is good enough for the game to default to high-res sprites. When I investigated it, I found out, Nvidia forces it to normal in our config.ini

srfin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by srfin »

posila wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:35 pm
The HW is good enough for the game to default to high-res sprites. When I investigated it, I found out, Nvidia forces it to normal in our config.ini
So it sounds like there's nothing that can be done about that (other than asking NVidia?). It would be great if the game could apply the new setting and restart without actually exiting, but I realize that's probably a huge amount of work.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

When this came up last people with the issue said that setting the launch option works even though it still reports otherwise.

srfin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by srfin »

Loewchen wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:27 pm
When this came up last people with the issue said that setting the launch option works even though it still reports otherwise.
I don't think there is any way to set the launch option permanently now. I can go to windowed mode and set the launch option in steam after the game starts, but as with the config, it gets overwritten on the next startup. But please tell me if I'm doing it wrong somehow!

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

srfin wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:20 pm
I can go to windowed mode and set the launch option in steam after the game starts, but as with the config, it gets overwritten on the next startup.
It deletes the parameter out of the text field?

srfin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by srfin »

Loewchen wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:32 pm
srfin wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:20 pm
I can go to windowed mode and set the launch option in steam after the game starts, but as with the config, it gets overwritten on the next startup.
It deletes the parameter out of the text field?
Yes, it seems to clear the launch options field on startup. I don't think it saves any changes made in the steam client.

srfin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by srfin »

posila wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:35 pm
I just chatted with NVidia support, and they insisted that changing the default setting is not allowed for "Priority" members. Is there any way Factorio could default to high res graphics by default? Maybe only on Geforce now if that would not be appropriate for everyone?

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

On PC with 8 GB RAM and 2 GB VRAM it defaults to high res (and I believe GeForce NOW machines have better specs than that). What does the setting change to if you reset graphics options to default? That will show what it defaulted to.

I doubt their support person will have access to do anything about it directly or even look what they do for individual games. They probably have just some script they follow.

srfin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by srfin »

posila wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:58 pm
What does the setting change to if you reset graphics options to default? That will show what it defaulted to.
I'm not sure I understand what you want to know here. In the Factorio graphics settings "Sprite Resolution" says "Normal". I can change it to high, but when I exit and re-launch the game it is back to "Normal" again.
posila wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:58 pm
On PC with 8 GB RAM and 2 GB VRAM it defaults to high res (and I believe GeForce NOW machines have better specs than that).
It sounds like you're already doing what I was asking for. I guess NVidia must be intentionally putting an explicit "Normal" setting in the config file so that the game doesn't use this auto-detected setting (is that how it works?) as an intentional tactic to get people to upgrade to the more expensive account.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

srfin wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:51 pm
I'm not sure I understand what you want to know here. In the Factorio graphics settings "Sprite Resolution" says "Normal". I can change it to high, but when I exit and re-launch the game it is back to "Normal" again.
I just wanted you to the button "circled" in the picture bellow, to see what are the default values.
graphics_settings_reset.jpg
graphics_settings_reset.jpg (127.72 KiB) Viewed 1509 times
srfin wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:51 pm
It sounds like you're already doing what I was asking for. I guess NVidia must be intentionally putting an explicit "Normal" setting in the config file so that the game doesn't use this auto-detected setting (is that how it works?) as an intentional tactic to get people to upgrade to the more expensive account.
I don't know if it is a tactic, but when I investigated it when GeForce Now was launched, I found out they do modify Factorio's config to force sprite resolution to normal. I think nVidia doesn't particularly care about Factorio, as they use ancient artwork and logo from early access times, obsoloted more than 7 years ago.

srfin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by srfin »

posila wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:58 pm
I just wanted you to the button "circled" in the picture below, to see what are the default values.
Ok, the picture was what I needed :). When I click that it does switch the Sprite Resolution setting to "High", so I guess that confirms that default is being overridden.

Return to “Technical Help”