Non-blocking saves?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Non-blocking saves?

Post by JasonC »

I see an incidental reference in the 1.1.70 release notes to "non-blocking saves" (some bug was fixed related to it) with wording along the lines of "when non-blocking saves are used".

I didn't know this was a thing, and the wording implies that it's some sort of option. However, I couldn't find anything in the game settings.

Is non-blocking saves a thing and is it what I think it is? If so, how can I enable it? My saves are starting to take > 5 or 6 seconds which is fine except autosave is becoming disruptive, and it would be super cool if there was some option (even experimental) to have the saves be done in the background instead of suspending the game during the save. I couldn't find anything in Settings, though.

Thanks!
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Non-blocking saves?

Post by DaveMcW »

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

It's Linux-only, Windows simply can't support it. To light it up put `non-blocking-saving=true` in your config or hunt down the checkbox in the "the rest" set that shows up if you hold down ctrl+alt when you pick "settings". It's a fan-made feature, someone with source access basically offered it as a patch/pull request/whatver, it has zero official support, it's kept working because keeping it working is simple.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

I would kill for this feature on Windows.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Tertius wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:51 pm
Question is, who would not?
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

aka13 wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:24 am
Tertius wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:51 pm
Question is, who would not?
Installing Linux f.e. EndavourOS or Linux Mint is an option before committing a crime :P
Maybe in a VMWare, but it might have some Performance drawbacks
Or install in parallel, which I have done. And now, I mainly use Linux

fun fact: I didn't even enable this function.

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

Thanks all; and yeah, Windows, would kill. Devs please PM me your targets' names, last known locations, and photos. :lol:
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

JasonC wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:40 pm
Thanks all; and yeah, Windows, would kill. Devs please PM me your targets' names, last known locations, and photos. :lol:
To make it work on windows would require that the windows operating system support process level forking and copy-on-write. So you'll need to contact Microsoft about that one.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

Rseding91 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:45 pm
JasonC wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:40 pm
To make it work on windows would require that the windows operating system support process level forking and copy-on-write. So you'll need to contact Microsoft about that one.
Yeah.

Crap, MS definitely already has their own merc hit squad (pretty sure they're a subgroup of their Legal department), I need to think of an offer with more value. :D

Return to “Technical Help”