Strange performance issues after recent updates

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Antonio72
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Strange performance issues after recent updates

Post by Antonio72 »

My game gets strange performance issues after the 1.0.0 update.

Before that, my game could run factories at 60 fps with no problem, however, after that its in a constant struggle to reach 60 and drops to 30 most of the time with significant slowdowns even when NOTHING is built on a fresh game.

I have all graphic options disabled, and on minimum. I use a video memory usage of high and a sprite atlas of 4096.

My laptop hasn't changed in all this time.

I can give an ETW file if neeed.
factorio-current.log
(6.01 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Captura de pantalla (170).png
Captura de pantalla (170).png (2.42 MiB) Viewed 2835 times
Captura de pantalla (171).png
Captura de pantalla (171).png (2.42 MiB) Viewed 2835 times

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Strange performance issues after recent updates

Post by nuhll »

low fps usually means graphic problem, does other games run?

Antonio72
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Antonio72 »

I have this issue only in factorio, installing some fps mods fixed it until my factory grew a bit, then started happening again

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

didnt saw until now.. lol 1,6ghz and no graphic card? idk about such weak systems maybe some other ppl know.

edit: but i would set video memory usage to the lowest

Antonio72
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Antonio72 »

I dunno, before the spidertron update my game worked 100% fine, and also, lowering the video usage didn't work

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Also only 4GB RAM?

Which means Factorio, your factory, all the currently in use graphics,Windows and any other running programs need to fit into whatever RAM is available. Check your page file, I'm guessing that as your factory grows, you are probably using paging more and more frequently.

You can try closing all other running programs and everything you can from the notification area, to free up as much RAM as possible before starting Factorio. (Grab the non-steam version, so you can close steam as well).

Antonio72
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Antonio72 »

This happens on fresh empty saves too.

Also, closing everything didn't work, and unless the system requirements became higher, I don't see why this didn't happen in the past

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

What was the last version that worked fine for you?

Antonio72
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Antonio72 »

Before 1.0.0, I am downloading 0.17.79 just to be sure but before spidertron was added I could play just fine

Antonio72
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Antonio72 »

Antonio72 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:32 am
Before 1.0.0, I am downloading 0.17.79 just to be sure but before spidertron was added I could play just fine
Just confirmed it, before version 1.0.0 everything works just fine.

Also i still have the ETW file if you want

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

So the latest version before 1.0.0 that you have tried is 0.17.79?

Antonio72
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Antonio72 »

Loewchen wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:52 am
So the latest version before 1.0.0 that you have tried is 0.17.79?
I don't remember which version I played before 1.0.0, I am very lost in factorio development and I just downloaded any version that goes before it trying to recreate this
Screenshot_20220728-115823_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220728-115823_Chrome.jpg (123.71 KiB) Viewed 2727 times
The version I used to play is NOT here it seems

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

MINDESTANFORDERUNGEN:
Betriebssystem: Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista (64 Bit)
Prozessor: Dual core 3Ghz+
Arbeitsspeicher: 4 GB RAM
Grafik: DirectX 10.1 capable GPU with 512 MB VRAM - GeForce GTX 260, Radeon HD 4850 or Intel HD Graphics 5500
DirectX: Version 11
Speicherplatz: 3 GB verfügbarer Speicherplatz
Zusätzliche Anmerkungen: Normal sprite resolution, Low quality compression, 1080p resolution

So i would say its a wonder its working with 30 fps anyway

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Antonio72 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:00 am
I have this issue only in factorio, installing some fps mods fixed it until my factory grew a bit, then started happening again
What fps mods ?

If your computer is under the spec written on steam you can use this one : https://mods.factorio.com/mod/GTTS

You can setup the speed to 30 fps, the game will show 30 images per second, but it will double the speed of almost everything, like running speed, machine crafting speed, belt speed so it doesn't look like everything is all slow. You can even set the fps lower, like 18 or 12 if you are ok with the visual of it when your factory grow, it allow you to lower the amount in setting.

it's supposed to be used for setting the fps at 120 but halving every speed so it doesn't look like everything is too fast but the other way around makes your battery last way longer if you play on a laptop and it heat a lot less due to less calculation required while giving the same real time to wait for such technology to be researched. Sure you only see 30 image per second which is not looking as smooth as 60, but if you don't reach the 60 anyway, ( because big base on old computer) that may be less of a problem.

Time in train schedule and production statistic are a bit messed up, it shows 5 hours but game tells you it's only 1 for example if you use 12 fps which is speed 0.2

Antonio72 wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:25 pm
I have all graphic options disabled, and on minimum. I use a video memory usage of high and a sprite atlas of 4096.

My laptop hasn't changed in all this time.
Maybe you can try with a atlas of 2048 instead ?

One thing that sadly change overtime with laptop is the dust in them obstructing the fans, it can even reach a point where the CPU is throttled to prevent it from getting damaged, in those case i would expect sudden recuring FPS drops occuring after some time playing when the temperature has climbed enough.
Last edited by mmmPI on Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Antonio72
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Antonio72 »

mmmPI wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:38 pm
Antonio72 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:00 am
What fps mods ?

If your computer is under the spec written on steam you can use this one : https://mods.factorio.com/mod/GTTS

You can setup the speed to 30 fps, the game will show 30 images per second, but it will double the speed of almost everything, like running speed, machine crafting speed, belt speed so it doesn't look like everything is all slow. You can even set the fps lower, like 18 or 12 if you are ok with the visual of it when your factory grow, it allow you to lower the amount in setting.

it's supposed to be used for setting the fps at 120 but halving every speed so it doesn't look like everything is too fast but the other way around makes your battery last way longer if you play on a laptop and it heat a lot less due to less calculation required while giving the same real time to wait for such technology to be researched. Sure you only see 30 image per second which is not looking as smooth as 60, but if you don't reach the 60 anyway, ( because big base on old computer) that may be less of a problem.

Time in train schedule and production statistic are a bit messed up, it shows 5 hours but game tells you it's only 1 for example if you use 12 fps which is speed 0.2
I used a modpack called extreme optimization, and with that, my game struggled again when I started placing around 15 burner miners and ovens

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Antonio72 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:46 pm
I used a modpack called extreme optimization, and with that, my game struggled again when I started placing around 15 burner miners and ovens
I've seen this one several time but never used it so i can't tell comparaison.

I'm playing on an old laptop with CPU capped under 2GHz for battery and overheating/lifespan. I have great result with this GTTS mod. It would be the option 2) in the description of the extreme optimization mod, GTTS set up at 30 fps will increase speed of everything else x2. And game only do calculation 1/2 of time.

Looking at your screenshot though, it look like what is taking the most time during the 30 fps period is the draw engine. https://mods.factorio.com/mod/no_animations Maybe this one could help too ?

Antonio72
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Antonio72 »

mmmPI wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:05 pm
Antonio72 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:46 pm
I've seen this one several time but never used it so i can't tell comparaison.

I'm playing on an old laptop with CPU capped under 2GHz for battery and overheating/lifespan. I have great result with this GTTS mod. It would be the option 2) in the description of the extreme optimization mod, GTTS set up at 30 fps will increase speed of everything else x2. And game only do calculation 1/2 of time.

Looking at your screenshot though, it look like what is taking the most time during the 30 fps period is the draw engine. https://mods.factorio.com/mod/no_animations Maybe this one could help too ?
I tried it, but it crashes my game, and I have no idea how to fix it

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Antonio72 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:46 pm
I tried it, but it crashes my game, and I have no idea how to fix it
i have no more idea for the general fps drop :( , maybe contacting the mod author would help for the crash with their mod.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

The time is lost in the flip so this is generally GPU driver side. I'd try a new zip install of the latest stable version with default settings for this hardware and test setting changes of one value at a time and make sure no other programs including steam are running.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

besides the fact this pc is under spec i think a big problem is that cpu has to do (too much) gpu work

try to buy a 100 usd pc used somewhere and it would probably perform better xD

Return to “Technical Help”