[1.1.59][Multiplayer][SOLVED] UPS jump up followed by a disconnect of a player

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
sejbr
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.59][Multiplayer][SOLVED] UPS jump up followed by a disconnect of a player

Post by sejbr »

Hi I have setup a headless server with mods on

OVH Comfort VPS 4 vCore 8GB Ram
Linux 5.15.0-25-generic #25-Ubuntu SMP Wed Mar 30 15:54:22 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Description: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
Release: 22.04
Codename: jammy

The issues are as follows:
1. My buddy joins the game. Loads the map and is able to move.
2. The instant he is able to move UPS jump up to values from 80 to 240 visible both on my end and his
ups.png
ups.png (22.5 KiB) Viewed 2341 times
3. After a few seconds with UPS above 60 he is getting disconnected.
4. The second he starts to get dropped the ups goes back to 60.

Sometimes he gets the "Your pc couldn't keep up" message, sometimes just "Lost connection"

server-settings.json were mostly left the same as in the example file.

What we've tried:
1. Changing settings listed below with no success

Code: Select all

max_upload_in_kilobytes_per_second
minimum_latency_in_ticks
non_blocking_saving
2. Changing the game speed to 0.5
3. On his end - Removing the whole mods folder
4. On his end - Removing Factorio alltogether along with %appdata%/factorio

Server logs usually just say this:

1360.192 Info ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:1061: Disconnect notification for peer (8)
1360.193 Info ServerSynchronizer.cpp:627: nextHeartbeatSequenceNumber(68439) removing peer(8).
His logs from one of the tries:

0.343 Info ClientMultiplayerManager.cpp:610: UpdateTick(32278) changing state from(ConnectedLoadingMap) to(TryingToCatchUp)
 120.914 Info ClientMultiplayerManager.cpp:610: UpdateTick(32460) changing state from(TryingToCatchUp) to(WaitingForCommandToStartSendingTickClosures)
 121.074 Info ClientMultiplayerManager.cpp:610: UpdateTick(32460) changing state from(WaitingForCommandToStartSendingTickClosures) to(InGame)
 121.141 Info GameActionHandler.cpp:5015: UpdateTick (32462) processed PlayerJoinGame peerID(13) playerIndex(1) mode(connect) 
 138.973 Info ClientSynchronizer.cpp:335: Latency changed to (15)
 149.290 Info ClientSynchronizer.cpp:335: Latency changed to (17)
 168.973 Info ClientSynchronizer.cpp:335: Latency changed to (21)
 188.975 Info ClientSynchronizer.cpp:335: Latency changed to (75)
 195.173 Warning ClientSynchronizer.cpp:106: nextHeartbeatSequenceNumber(1930822503) server wants a heartbeat(1930821301) that we don't have.
 195.741 Error ClientMultiplayerManager.cpp:98: MultiplayerManager failed: "Utracono połączenie z grą."
 195.742 Info ClientMultiplayerManager.cpp:610: UpdateTick(34694) changing state from(InGame) to(WaitingForUserToSaveOrQuitAfterServerLeft)
 195.742 Info ClientMultiplayerManager.cpp:930: Disconnect notification for peer (13)
 209.017 Info ClientMultiplayerManager.cpp:210: Quitting multiplayer connection.
 209.017 Info ClientMultiplayerManager.cpp:610: UpdateTick(34694) changing state from(WaitingForUserToSaveOrQuitAfterServerLeft) to(Disconnected)
When I host the game locally from my Factorio and invite him via steam with the same mods installed - everything works perfectly.
I was thinking that either his computer is not fast enough or the server is not fast enough for that heavily modded game or OVH firewall has issues but in all these cases.
1. His game works fine when connected to my game hosted on windows with the same mods.
2. Server works for me and he has issues regardles if he's the only player or not
3. OVH would usually send an email if they blocked any packets.

Any ideas?
Thank you for your time.
Last edited by sejbr on Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [1.1.59][Multiplayer] UPS jump up followed by a disconnect of a player

Post by Loewchen »

Post complete logs of server and client of the same session.
Does your friend have the issue only on your server?
Does the issue persist on a new map without mods?

sejbr
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sejbr »

Complete logs attached.
Unfortunately for us, the game is fine unmodded on a new map so I assume it's either an issue with a mod on linux or with a mod on a headless server?
I have tried watching show-time-usage as he connected but nothing changed.
Attachments
factorio_server.log
(321.19 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
factorio-player.log
(353.4 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Sounds similar to 102530. At least one packet is not getting to the server for some reason, how this could effect the UPS counter on a different client I do not understand. You could try to enable verbose logging on server and client and see if that gives more info in the logs.

sejbr
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sejbr »

Verbose logs from both linux server and the client attached.

We've checked another thing.
I have taken my steam factorio installation which we know worked since when I start multiplayer in game he is fine.
Started the windows binary with --start-server, default configs and the same savegame we tried when I launched multiplayer via GUI.

The same issue. He joins, UPS goes out of wack and he gets disconnected with the only log around that time being the "wants the heartbeat that we don't have".
Looks like an issue with headless server? Can a mod be compatible with GUI and incompatible with headless?

Also his latency jumps up before disconnect but only on headless server.
Attachments
factorio-player_2.log
(420.58 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
factorio_server_2.log
(434.41 KiB) Downloaded 64 times

sejbr
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sejbr »

There has been an odd development...
My buddy's game now works and I'm the one having the issue.
Nothing else changed at the time.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

I see you're running flib (Factorio library mod). Try setting its translation per tick value lower in the mod settings. I cannot find the whole thing I'm remembering about this and what I can find is old-ish, but it might help.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

sejbr
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sejbr »

Will this setting be in mods/mod-settings.dat that I synchronize to the server and work after startup or do I need to generate a new map alltogether since it's in map settings?

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

sejbr wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:01 pm
Will this setting be in mods/mod-settings.dat that I synchronize to the server and work after startup or do I need to generate a new map alltogether since it's in map settings?
Yes, it will be in the mod-settings.dat file. All mod settings are held in there. There are none that cannot be adjusted and changed at some point, though it does depend on how it’s used within the mod on the affect during a running game (ie, RSO, changing resource generation settings won’t affect anything existing, but will work on anything new found).
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

sejbr
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sejbr »

Bilka wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:51 pm
I see you're running flib (Factorio library mod). Try setting its translation per tick value lower in the mod settings. I cannot find the whole thing I'm remembering about this and what I can find is old-ish, but it might help.
Man You are a God sent. Changed this value to it's minimum along with some other setting in LTN described with "Lower if you have performance issues" and still after two server reboots we have no issues and the UPS is at a stable 60.
Thank you so very much. After two weeks of battles with this issue we were close to just not starting the session at all. You single handedly managed to take 300 hours of our future time from us! Cheers!

Return to “Technical Help”