My blueprint file is causing a ~5 sec hang during initial map load

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

My blueprint file is causing a ~5 sec hang during initial map load

Post by FuryoftheStars »

When starting a new map or loading an existing, there's a rough 5 sec hang about a quarter to half second after loading finishes. I've managed to track it down to my blueprint-storage.dat file. If I delete it (after backing it up, of course :) ), the hang is not present. Restoring it causes the hang again.

A lot of my BPs are dependent on mods, but I also have one extremely large one in there. Deleting the massive BP out of my library reduces the hang time, so I'm guessing the hang has something to do with the size of the BP library? My BP file is roughly 20.7 MB in size. If that's not it, then maybe the size of some of the BPs within it? The massive one is roughly 35x35 chunks, (mostly) all paved with concrete (BP shows 1.0 million), and then easily hundreds of thousands of other entities within it. Deleting it reduces by BP file size by ~15 MB. Most of my other large BPs are smaller, no bigger than 4x4 chunks or so.

I started posting this in Tech Help because I hadn't figured it out, yet, but as I wrote I kept playing with it and now know better what is happening. That said, I don't consider this a bug, either, which is why I'm not cancelling this post and posting in the bug section instead.

Devs... any chance of pushing/splitting whatever processing of the BP file you all are doing on map load into it's own/different thread(s) that won't hang the game? And/or, and I don't know if this would be possible, pushing loading of our personal BP data into game load (during prototype, etc loading) instead of map?

I don't know the feasibility on any of that, but I can't help but wonder, if I did play MP, what kind of an effect could this have on joining a server, especially with a poor connection?
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: My blueprint file is causing a ~5 sec hang during initial map load

Post by Rseding91 »

A huge blueprint library is essentially a huge save file that gets loaded every time you load into any game. So that’s expected. We don’t currently support loading a save file while actively playing another save file so we can’t do that processing in the background.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Technical Help”