Setting Up The Middle Mouse Button For QuickBar Usage

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
C_Orlofsky
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Setting Up The Middle Mouse Button For QuickBar Usage

Post by C_Orlofsky »

I recently added a wireless mouse to my PC. I tried using the middle mouse button to clear quickbar entries, but it does not work. After a long conversation and interaction with the mouse manufacturer, I discovered that the button is programmable, and I must set it up for it to work.
Does anyone know how the game recognizes a middle mouse button push? I can assign a keystroke combination to the mouse button, but what would it be?
There doesn't appear to be a way to assign an alternate keyboard combination within the game.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Setting Up The Middle Mouse Button For QuickBar Usage

Post by Tertius »

As default, pressing the mouse wheel is the middle mouse button. Not rotating or tilting, just pressing it down results in "Middle mouse button" in Factorio or "Mouse button 3". If your mouse software hijacked "Mouse button 3" for pressing the mouse wheel, reset it and re-assign it to "Mouse button 3".

In case you actually have to assign a key, choose a not used key from your keyboard or a key that isn't even present on the keyboard. Common not present keys are F13..F24. Assign F13 to your middle mouse button in the mouse software. Then go into Factorio and locate the "Change Filter" key in the keyboard settings, click on the right button for alternative key assignment (it's empty for individual use) and press your middle mouse button. It will insert F13 as assignment, since you already told your mouse software to send F13 with that button.

Return to “Technical Help”