[1.1.57] Graphical Failure causes freeze and then crash after very rapidly alt-tabbing out and back into factorio.

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
dingus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.1.57] Graphical Failure causes freeze and then crash after very rapidly alt-tabbing out and back into factorio.

Post by dingus »

Full version info:
  • Factorio 1.1.57 (build 59622, win64, steam)
  • No mods
  • GPU Info: Nvidia gforce GTX 1070ti
  • CPU Info: Intel i7-8700 @3.2GHZ
  • I am not using any custom launch config settings.
How to reproduce:

I cannot reproduce it consistently, but it appears to happen after I very rapidly tab out of factorio and back into it. I believe the glitch is graphics related.

What happens:

The entire screen to go black, the entire computer is unresponsive for a short period of time (5-15 seconds), and then a error message pops up (I forgot to screenshot it, I'll update the thread with one next time it occurs). Many other programs also crash (partially or fully) after this occurs.

Other possibly useful details:
  • Log file from crash:
    factorio-previous.log
    (149.42 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
  • Many other programs also crash when this happens, but I am very confident factorio is required to be running (and me interacting with it) to trigger the issue.
  • Chrome doesn't crash when this error occurs, but all streaming/video/media playing in chrome does when this error occurs. I need to refresh those tabs for the media players to work again.
  • I almost always have some form of streaming media playing in background while playing factorio.
Finally:

There is a similar issue I get less often, which causes the entire computer to freeze with a black screen, and require a full restart of the computer to get out of. This one doesn't seem to be alt-tab related like the above issue, but it seems similar in that I think its a graphics related issue that is related to factorio but ends up affecting/crashing other processes on the machine. I don't understand this one well enough to give a "how to reproduce" on it unfortunately.

Return to “Technical Help”