Map presets reset after transferring to a new computer

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
LittleMiiMe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Map presets reset after transferring to a new computer

Post by LittleMiiMe »

Hey there

I recently transferred to a new MacBook and I also transferred my save files. But now I noticed that the presets of when I created the map have all been reset. How I noticed was that I changed the pollution absorption preset to 200% but then also have massive enemy bases. And now all the trees are dead and the water is green and past ~7000 blocks only small clusters of enemies appear.

Is there a way to also transfer the map presets to my new computer? I still have everything on my old computer. I don’t think if it has anything to do with it but I my old MacBook was an Intel one while my new one is an M1 MacBook.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Map presets reset after transferring to a new computer

Post by FuryoftheStars »

The presets are in the save itself.

Any chance that during this move to a new PC you’ve changed game versions? Or were there mods involved that you haven’t moved them all or added in new ones (that deal with pollution, enemies, or other generation settings)? That’s the only time I’ve experienced what you describe.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

LittleMiiMe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LittleMiiMe »

Thank you for mentioning the version difference, I just checked my old computer and it was a couple of versions behind. Should I now be able to transfer just the save file like? When I transferred to my new computer, I re-downloaded factorio and just transferred the save file.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Yeah, you can simply move the save file (with some caveats. Iirc, version 1.1 can only load directly 0.18+ for example, so older save files will need a step by step process of install older Factorio, load and save, uninstall and install newer Factorio, rinse and repeat until you can get it to 1.1).

However, generation functions change sometimes from version to version (and I sometimes wonder if the major and minor version numbers are used in their generation seeds, too), so there’s no guarantee that an older map will continue to generate in the same manner on newer game versions. If you’re dead set on keeping the old generation (without restarting), you’ll most likely have to stick with using the old game version.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

LittleMiiMe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LittleMiiMe »

Thank you for helping me! :D

Return to “Technical Help”