[1.1.53] Crash using external audio interface

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
stonecoldslate
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.1.53] Crash using external audio interface

Post by stonecoldslate »

External Audio Interface model U-Phoria UMC404HD 192khz
factorio-previous.log
Crash log
(5.19 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
pretty simple, game just crashes on startup when audio interface is selected in windows settings as output. Changed to NVIDIA audio output and it runs normally.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [1.1.53] Crash using external audio interface

Post by Loewchen »

That log does not show a crash.

stonecoldslate
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by stonecoldslate »

Loewchen wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:07 pm
That log does not show a crash.
I'm aware it doesn't show a "typical crash" but I'm telling you my game launches, and immediately closes/crashes when using my audio interface.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

can you try changing the audio format to 24 bit, 48000 Hz (studio quality) and see if it makes any difference? I've seen many pieces of software have issues with higher audio rates and wonder if this might be the issue.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

stonecoldslate
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by stonecoldslate »

hey there, apologies for the month-late reply, so I did some testing and come to find out my audio interface is at a fixed rate of 24 bit, 44100 Hz. I can switch to a secondary audio output (NVIDIA audio) and it works just fine and it plays any output through my interface, but any direct interaction with the interface selected crashes the game immediately upon hitting start.

Donion
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Donion »

Is there any difference if you use SDL audio backend (Ctrl-Alt-Click settings => The rest => audio-backend and then restart the game. Or you can edit the config.ini, search for audio-backend and change that line to "audio-backend=sdl", no semicolon at the beginning)?

stonecoldslate
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by stonecoldslate »

Fantastic, that change worked. I'm curious as I'm new into the modding scene and in general, curious about the technical aspects, what did that do that fixed my problem?

Donion
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Donion »

I would need to dig into it to try to find the actual problem, unfortunately I don't have a way to reproduce this problem on my own. It was just a try to see what happens.
The audio backend is a library that is responsible for sending data to the audio interface/hardware.
Factorio uses Allegro audio addon, which in turn uses (by default, on Windows), DirectSound. SDL is another option.
So there is either something wrong in the way we configure/use Allegro audio or there is an issue within the DirectSound implementation in Allegro, with your particular setup.
I'm glad you have a workaround for your problem. If you encounter more problems, I would be grateful for any additional details and information you could provide.

Return to “Technical Help”