Stuttering, which mod zu blame?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Dragony
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Stuttering, which mod zu blame?

Post by Dragony »

Hey,

after several minutes of gameplay, I experience some stuttering every few seconds. This even happens on a new game. I suppose a mod just sucks but it's hard to debug this problem, because when I save and reload, the stuttering is gone. My actual plan to re-enable every mod until the stuttering reappears seems to be too tedious because of this.

So I wanted to use the debug overlay, but I can't find out how to identify the source of stuttering, because its just a spike and it seems I cant easily locate spikes there?

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Stuttering, which mod zu blame?

Post by Tertius »

Instead of re-enabling mods one by one, re-enable half of all your mods. If the stuttering doesn't reappear, it's in the other half of your mods. Repeat and search for the mod in the half you identified as producing the lags. This way you halve the amount of mods in every step until you're left with only one mod - the culprit. This is called binary search: for 32 mods, you only need 5 steps (16 -> 8 -> 4 -> 2 -> 1).

Of course only if you're unable to find a direct method.

InappropriatePenguin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by InappropriatePenguin »

When you enable "show time usage" in debug options, three numbers will be shown next to each mod name in the form average/min/max. You'll want to pay attention to that third number when investigating such occasional stutters.

Dragony
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dragony »

InappropriatePenguin wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:15 am
When you enable "show time usage" in debug options, three numbers will be shown next to each mod name in the form average/min/max. You'll want to pay attention to that third number when investigating such occasional stutters.
Thank you very much. Exactly what I have been searching.

Return to “Technical Help”