[1.1.50] Game crashes after 15-30 minutes

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Choreomania
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.1.50] Game crashes after 15-30 minutes

Post by Choreomania »

Game crashes after 15-30 minutes as above.

Didn't experience this issue until updating to Windows 11, not sure if that's a red herring.

On two separate occasions it has crashed hard enough to restart my PC.

I appreciate it's a pretty big base, but I'm not experiencing any UPS/FPS drop before a crash.

Mods in use:
  • Auto Deconstruct
  • Base Mod
  • Even Distribution
  • Factorio Library
  • Factorio Standard Library
  • FNEI
  • Squeak Through
  • Vehicle Snap
  • Waterfill
Thanks for taking a look, I appreciate how quick you guys fix bugs!
Attachments
Build a Base.zip
(79.22 MiB) Downloaded 70 times
factorio-current.log
(12.44 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [1.1.50] Game crashes after 15-30 minutes

Post by Loewchen »

If it crashes the whole pc, then something is wrong with your pc.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Loewchen wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:17 pm
If it crashes the whole pc, then something is wrong with your pc.
apologies on behalf of Loewchen for they sometimes post useless troubleshooting tips like this, blaming the end-user without actually helping investigate. what a shame.

to the OP, try running Aida64 or Prime95 and see whether those kick up any problems. if so, it's something CPU-specific.

if Aida64 or Prime95 don't kick out any errors, you can run Furmark, which will help determine if there's a GPU problem.

if both of those cause a problem independently of each other, i would run a memtest from a Live USB image to see if there's a bad memory module.

of course, if your CPU or GPU alone don't produce the issue, you could try running two or more tests at once to both tax the CPU and GPU. this could push the power consumption of your system up to the point that it reveals if there's any power problems.

finally, if none of that reproduces the issue, you could run a live Ubuntu USB stick (it doesn't require installation) and download the Linux version of Factorio from the website (Factorio.com) and see whether the same crash occurs in a different OS. if not, then it's likely a problem with your windows installation.

Choreomania
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Choreomania »

Thanks ptx0, I'll update my reply as I run tests. As a side note, it only crashed the PC once (so maybe unrelated?). I recall now on another occasion I had to hard reboot rather than it self-restarting.

Aida64 Results:
  • CPU Stress - Ran for 15 mins with no issue and no throttle
  • Disk Test - All tests ran fine
  • CPU and GPU Stress - Again, no issues there
Furmark - Ran all fine

Furmark and Aida64 (Stress-GPU) - Toasty, but still stable

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Choreomania wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:55 pm
Thanks ptx0, I'll update my reply as I run tests. As a side note, it only crashed the PC once (so maybe unrelated?). I recall now on another occasion I had to hard reboot rather than it self-
oh. do you use Suspend (to memory)? also just noticed the reference to Windows 11. that's probably related too :P

Choreomania
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Choreomania »

Good news, I found the issue! Posting in the hopes that it helps anyone else that stumbles upon it.

Looks like the overclock speed I was running on my CPU was fine on Windows 10, but didn't like Windows 11. I've taken it back to stock speed and have no stability issues now.

Cheers for the help @ptx0

Return to “Technical Help”