how to optimise a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) Monterey

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

how to optimise a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) Monterey

Post by brunzenstein »

I run Factorio on a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) with Monterey 2,9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 - the game begins to slow down extremely.
What are the possible settings you recommend Ito optimise Factorio (Wait for Vram) ec?

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: how to optimise a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) Monterey

Post by Bilka »

I don't use Mac nor would I trust reddit, but according to this, you may want to downgrade your OS: https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... y/hkzntft/ (instead of trying to optimize Factorio)
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

I tried:
https://eclecticlight.co/2021/11/15/mon ... -avoid-it/
and it worked - at least a bit.
What I was looking for was a help with the Factorio setup which provides several adaptations (I don't understand) in the modification when starting up.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

brunzenstein wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:29 pm
I tried:
What I was looking for was a help with the Factorio setup which provides several adaptations (I don't understand) in the modification when starting up.
According to the information posted on the main reddit post the dev linked to, there is no "optimization" for Factorio to run better on the Monterey
OS because it's an actual issue with the OS itself. Also according to the information there, downgrading is your best bet vs the work around.

I could've sworn I saw another post on the Factorio forums about this OS that basically was saying the same thing, but I'm not able to find it at this time.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:25 am
brunzenstein wrote:
I tried:
According to the information posted on the main reddit post the dev linked to, there is no "optimization" for Factorio to run better on the Monterey
OS because it's an actual issue with the OS itself. Also according to the information there, downgrading is your best bet vs the work around.

I could've sworn I saw another post on the Factorio forums about this OS that basically was saying the same thing, but I'm not able to find it at this time.
If its not on the Mac side - how to lower the request for the CPU in the Factorio settings?

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

brunzenstein wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:16 am
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:25 am
brunzenstein wrote:
I tried:

If its not on the Mac side - how to lower the request for the CPU in the Factorio settings?
It’s not a question of “if”… it is on the mac side.

That said, afaik, the only way to decrease Factorio CPU usage is to adjust the graphics settings that load/depend more on the GPU (there are a couple of settings that if you hover the mouse over they do say adjusting them down will put more load on the CPU), and build smaller bases.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:59 pm
adjusting them down will put more load on the CPU), and build smaller bases.
adjusting them down or up?

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

brunzenstein wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:47 pm
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:59 pm
adjusting them down will put more load on the CPU), and build smaller bases.
adjusting them down or up?
It’ll say on the mouse over text, but I’m fairly sure it’s down (ie, take load away from GPU).

Return to “Technical Help”