factorio.exe goes missing from x64 file

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
m0b1us1
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

factorio.exe goes missing from x64 file

Post by m0b1us1 »

So its just like the title claims, when I try to load into a friends world, almost every time recently, the factorio.exe simply goes missing from
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Factorio\bin\x64

This will also occur when I try to apply/disable mods in single player. My initial thought was it was a mod issue, however this has never occurred and I have played with these very mods up until a few days ago where the issue started occurring. It will pause during the loading screen, then the program closes completely and the exe goes missing. What is strange is that sometimes this bug doesn't occur and I can connect and play just fine.

Anyone ever come across this bug? And yes, I have verified the files before, then after making sure the exe was still there, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled 4 times already.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: factorio.exe goes missing from x64 file

Post by Rseding91 »

What antivirus do you have?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

m0b1us1
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by m0b1us1 »

Malwarebytes and already checked that. If it was an antivirus thing then it would have occurred the moment I tried to open the game. But I had been playing for 2 weeks before this started.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I ask because the changing of enabled mods causes the game to re-launch itself which some antiviruses might see as "suspicious". Where normal play does not involve that.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

It's also impossible for exe to delete itself on Windows. Running executable is locked for any modifications by OS, so it has to be deleted externally.

m0b1us1
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by m0b1us1 »

Well not sure what to tell you, but when the game is booted to start, the exe is still there. When trying to join a friends game, it crashes and the exe is gone.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

m0b1us1 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:16 pm
Well not sure what to tell you, but when the game is booted to start, the exe is still there. When trying to join a friends game, it crashes and the exe is gone.
Is your enabled mod list the same as your friend’s? If not, then that could likely cause the scenario Rseding91 mentions.

Try disabling your antivirus (and double check windows defender, too), and/or try making sure your enabled mods list matches your friend’s prior to trying to join. It’d also be interesting to see if changing your enabled mods from within the main menu (which once hitting confirm will auto trigger a game restart) also causes this issue or not.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

There should be a log somewhere tracing what happens. Either the anti virus', or maybe in Windows' event log. Maybe even Factorio's log has a trace of why the game crashes
Alternatively, can you try to download the standalone version (zip file) from Factorio website, unzip it in a different place, and try to reproduce what you're experiencing ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Technical Help”