DDR5 Tests

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
KriKri
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

DDR5 Tests

Post by KriKri »

Since DDR5 is now available it would be awesome if someone, devs or community, would run some tests since the gamespeed in megafactories is based on RAM-speeds. That way the users who are getting an pc-upgrade can see results of hopefully diffrent RAM-speeds and way faster factories.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: DDR5 Tests

Post by Loewchen »

https://www.anandtech.com/show/17047/th ... plexity/12
+7% in win10
+11% between ddr4 in win10 ddr5 in win11

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Yeah, I’d say it’s not necessary to do Factorio specific tests. Just look at online general reviews and tests. However well it’s doing there will likely translate fairly close for Factorio.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:36 pm
Yeah, I’d say it’s not necessary to do Factorio specific tests. Just look at online general reviews and tests. However well it’s doing there will likely translate fairly close for Factorio.
I wouldn't be so categorical. The way Factorio is optimized makes it more sensitive than most games to ram latency and bandwidth (and also CPU cache). On big factories, how fast the CPU can access to data limits UPS more than id does on an random game.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

There are factorio (and Dwarf Fortress :D ) benchmarks here:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/17047/th ... plexity/12
DDR5 is quite new and those are first chips so it might get even better.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Sorry, yes, it does depend on where you are currently seeing the bottleneck. If your cpu is the bottleneck, then obviously improving ram won't have much if any affect. That said, if ram is your bottleneck, then I'd expect that improving it would improve the game provided it doesn't cause you to then bottleneck elsewhere. So if performance tests are showing 5-10% improvements of DDR5 over DDR4, then assuming your factory bottleneck is ram and you're not close to bottlenecking on something else like the cpu, then I'd expect a straight swap from DDR4 to DDR5 to net a rough 5%+ improvement on the game.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Gnocchi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Gnocchi »

Do you know where to find the factorio benchmark map they used for their benchmarks?

I've been trying to find something to compare with, but haven't found anything yet.

Have a nice day all of you 😀

vjbone
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vjbone »

Gnocchi wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:42 am
Do you know where to find the factorio benchmark map they used for their benchmarks?

I've been trying to find something to compare with, but haven't found anything yet.

https://factoriobox.1au.us/

Gnocchi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Gnocchi »

vjbone wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:59 am
Gnocchi wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:42 am

https://factoriobox.1au.us/

Thank you so much!

Return to “Technical Help”