Factorio crashed in Entity Renderer on AMD Ryzen CPU

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
sycin23
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Factorio crashed in Entity Renderer on AMD Ryzen CPU

Post by sycin23 »

Hi Devs,

My game crashes and generated this message
Screenshot 2021-11-12 173858.png
Screenshot 2021-11-12 173858.png (294.2 KiB) Viewed 3121 times
I have updated my BIOS and chipset to the latest version as listed on their website.

System I have is
  • Ryzen 3900x
    5700XT 8GB
    ASUS x570-i Motherboard
Modlist
  • Artillery Bombardment Remote
    Auto Deconstruct
    Better Bots Technologies(Updated)
    Even Distribution
    Factorio Library
    Factorio Standard Library
    Far Reach
    FNEI
    Power Armor MK3
    Power Grid Comb
    Squeak Through
    Waterfill
Steps to replictate
I have encountered this several times already, this bug happened mostly when I am in radar view copying a large build and is rotating the BP to place it. The game will freeze and the above message pop up. It is important to note this does not happen immediately, I was able to copy/place a couple of large BP before the game crashes.
Some example of these larger BP is a 4x2 1.12GW Nuclear setup, GRID Based Production Unit etc...

Link to the save file as follows
https://mega.nz/file/oZogHAAA#oiDCkij9M ... mDZX3y6qEs
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(15.59 KiB) Downloaded 142 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Factorio crashed in Entity Renderer on AMD Ryzen CPU

Post by Loewchen »

If you have tried all the mitigating measures described in the error message, then all that is left to do is replacing the hardware.

lyvgbfh
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lyvgbfh »

You may wish to make sure XMP is disabled in your BIOS. Some boards seem to turn it on by default.

sycin23
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by sycin23 »

Loewchen wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:38 pm
If you have tried all the mitigating measures described in the error message, then all that is left to do is replacing the hardware.
Thanks for replying. However, replacing hardware is out of the question considering the market these days...

However I still have no idea why this is happening though. I have been using the same setup in previous versions up until recently. This issue only occurred to me with the previous 2 versions.
I guess for the time being I will have to save game more frequently and wait for future updates

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

sycin23 wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:01 pm
I guess for the time being I will have to save game more frequently and wait for future updates
This is a hardware defect, no update will fix this. The issue is very well documented, you can find details if you search the forum for EntityRenderer in Technical Help and Bug Reports. Unless you can reliably reproduce the crash there is nothing suggesting an issue inside the game.

Joseph2
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Joseph2 »

For anyone else having this issue (which absolutley is a hardware issue, and not factorio)

Try -
1. Begin with vanilla BIOS settings
2. Set VCORE ("VDDCR" on ASUS) to Offset mode. Set offset to 0.05 volt. Thats 50 MILLI volt. Be careful not to forget the decimal places.
3. Set WIndows Power Options to balanced, and go to Advanced Settings. Set Min and Max Processor State to 99%. This disables Turbo.

Power drain the computer (shutdown, unplug, press power button, plug back in)

See how you go.

If it looks good, you should be able to reenable XMP/DOCP, and also put Power Plan back to High performance (AMD Ryzen High Performance)

Another option is to use the Power Saving power plan.

Factorio is effectivley a perfect stress tester for this issue. Note that when I say stress, it really has nothing to do with heavy load. It can happen at 1% utilisation (and indeed factorio is incredibly CPU efficient)

Another test is Prime95. You will notice round off errors and worker threads will stop. You may find that it is often the same threads that fail, which indicated bad cores.

Side note, check for over clocking settings if you have ASUS AI Suite installed (or similar). i.e AI Suite seems to set "Power Phase Control" to Optimised. Set it to Manual -> Regular.

*Update - "Balanced" or "AMD Ryzen Balanced", with the normal 100% "Max processor state" appears to be unstable. Use High Performance.

DarkShadow44
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Loewchen wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:46 pm
This is a hardware defect, no update will fix this. The issue is very well documented, you can find details if you search the forum for EntityRenderer in Technical Help and Bug Reports. Unless you can reliably reproduce the crash there is nothing suggesting an issue inside the game.
Out of curiosity, is there information on what exactly is going wrong on AMD side here?

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

DarkShadow44 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:38 am
Out of curiosity, is there information on what exactly is going wrong on AMD side here?
The first three paragraphs of the message the game shows are pretty much copy&paste of what AMD told us.

Somebody recently found an AMD PCI device driver (probably installed with the chipset drivers) scans running processes and disables some CPU optimization(s) when certain games are detected running. Factorio is on the list only for Zen 1 Ryzens, though, so perhaps we should reach out them again and ask them to add it to the list for the newer gens too. https://twitter.com/aionescu/status/1394359314102427650

Return to “Technical Help”