Reinstalled OS but game 'freezes' repeatedly

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
ciranhi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Reinstalled OS but game 'freezes' repeatedly

Post by ciranhi »

TL;DR
Please suggest something I might have missed after I reinstalled Windows on my laptop, that might be preventing my Factorio from running smoothly.

The Longer Version
I recently replaced the HDD in my (HP Envy) laptop with an SSD of the same size. That meant I had to reinstall Windows, as well as all my programs. I must be missing a setting somewhere. Playing Factorio has become a frustration, rather than fun, because of the way the game freezes.

It took me several hours to narrow it down to Alien Biomes and Alien Biomes Hi-Res Terrain. If I have BOTH enabled, there's a noticeable freeze -- even at the main menu!!! If I host a multiplayer game, then the other player experiences the same freeze. If I join a multiplayer, I experience the freeze but the other player doesn't. If I disable either mod, no freezing (BUT, I need both for our current game).

I do not have an NVIDIA control panel, despite HP saying all my drivers are up to date. Right-clicking on my desktop only mentions the Intel graphics. Also, hubby and I watched in the Task Manager > Performance and we saw both cards being used (the NVIDIA more so). I did force "High performance" (dedicated) for Factorio. Hosting a multiplayer game shouldn't affect the player who joins IF it really was a graphics setting that I was missing. I think the lack of an NVIDIA control panel has distracted me a little too much. So, what'd I miss?

Some technical specs, to give you more meat to chew on:

HP Envy 17 Laptop with Touchscreen
Intel integrated graphics
NVIDIA GeForce 840M dedicated graphics
HDD and SSD are both 1TB each

Thanks for reading and brainstorming with me on this!

C.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Reinstalled OS but game 'freezes' repeatedly

Post by DaveMcW »

You can get the latest NVIDIA driver here: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Reinstalled OS but game 'freezes' repeatedly

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Moved to Technical Help.
You might want to attach your logfile, I see you have an integrated GPU and a dedicated GPU.
The dedicated GPU has limited memory, I suspect you might have issues with it if you play heavily modded graphic mods.
Do you know on which one your game runs, and can you force it to run on the integrated GPU (which can usually rely on more shared RAM).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Technical Help”