Peer wants Heartbeat that we don't have ERROR multiplayer

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
jakeman27
Inserter
Inserter

Peer wants Heartbeat that we don't have ERROR multiplayer

Post by jakeman27 »

Getting a strange new error as below when connecting to my server today. The same thing happens for a friend too. Have tried the latest experimental as well as the latest stable, was on stable before this issue occurred.
Attached is both log files, (2) is the server.
Have tried loading the saves locally and that works fine so doesn't seem to be an issue with the save file, have also tried resaving in the local client and then using that to boot the server off and still no joy.
Nothing has changed network wise, I have since this issue excluded the factorio save and temp folders from Windows defender.

ERROR
peer(2) wants a heartbeat(45828) that we don't have.
Attachments
factorio-current (2).log
(723.34 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
factorio-current.log
(947.52 KiB) Downloaded 102 times

Hornwitser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Peer wants Heartbeat that we don't have ERROR multiplayer

Post by Hornwitser »

Can you provide one of the saves that have this issue?

jakeman27
Inserter
Inserter

Post by jakeman27 »

Please find attached the latest save
Attachments
_autosave4.zip
(28.45 MiB) Downloaded 77 times

Hornwitser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hornwitser »

From the logs the connection to the server is accepted and some communication is happening but it's not able to keep up. The server saves the game but is unable to tell the client this happened so that it can start downloading the map. The "peer wants a heartbeat that we don't have" message indicates that the client is requesting packets from more than 20 seconds ago which the server doesn't keep. There's also messages in the client log after it has gives up about receiving 256 packets from the server with sequence numbers from 47205 to 48285 (1080 sequence numbers).

There's not much to go on here, but the best I can tell from the logs is that there's a crazy high packet loss of 75% between you and the server. What is your network setup? Can you try pinging the server IP while you connect to it?

jakeman27
Inserter
Inserter

Post by jakeman27 »

So I've just done a roll back to an earlier version to check and it is still happening.

Done several ping tests while connecting and can't see any noticeable change before, while or after connecting, hovers around 40ms.

My network at home is a 500mb fibre connection, through a unifi USG, port forwarding all setup on there and no changes have been made in weeks.
The server is wired in and only hosts factorio. I am currently not at home so can't check the LAN connection to the server.

Going to have a play with Wireshark now to see where these packets are getting lost

Hornwitser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hornwitser »

I have written a Python tool for pinging Factorio servers over UDP. It would be helpful if you tried to ping the server you're trying to connected while you are connecting to it. You can install it with the following command

Code: Select all

py -m pip install --user --upgrade hornwitser.factorio_tools
And then ping the server with the following command

Code: Select all

py -m hornwitser.factorio_tools ping <ip_address> <port>
If it's behind a Nat and it doesn't work, try the --punch option.

Return to “Technical Help”