hosting server over IPv6

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
rainbowgoo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

hosting server over IPv6

Post by rainbowgoo »

TL;DR: got free. lower spec machine at home, wanted to setup a dedicated headless ubuntu server for 10 people. The only problem is limitations over game being written for IPv4/UDP address as far as I understand. Before I contact my ISP for static IPv4, which will be probably a lot of pain and time to get, is there confirmed IPv6 solution?

I know I could host the game while being logged over steam but want to have and give access to base building and exploration whenever any player feels like and also don't want to be constantly logged into steam on main machine.

lyvgbfh
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: hosting server over IPv6

Post by lyvgbfh »

rainbowgoo wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:00 am
TL;DR: got free. lower spec machine at home, wanted to setup a dedicated headless ubuntu server for 10 people. The only problem is limitations over game being written for IPv4/UDP address as far as I understand. Before I contact my ISP for static IPv4, which will be probably a lot of pain and time to get, is there confirmed IPv6 solution?

I know I could host the game while being logged over steam but want to have and give access to base building and exploration whenever any player feels like and also don't want to be constantly logged into steam on main machine.
There's a few options here, depending a bit on your technical skills and ISP limitations. Most of these will be simpler than convincing your ISP to give you a static v4 address.

1. Use a dynamic dns service like dyndns to keep a hostname resolving to your dynamic IPv4 IP. This may not work if your ISP utilizes carrier-grade network address translation (CGNAT).
2. Use a program implementing NAT64 that "translates" IPv6 connections to IPv4 on your server. TAYGA is one such example.
3. Not sure if this would work, but you could try using a 6to4 tunnel broker (example a, example b) to broker the connection. This would also introduce additional latency.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Last i checked the game supports ipv6.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

rainbowgoo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by rainbowgoo »

Rseding91 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:32 pm
Last i checked the game supports ipv6.
In general, perhaps yes, I'm not that tech advanced - I was just following wiki linked on main site and resources there pointed to use static IPv4 with UDP as far as I understood.
lyvgbfh wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:02 am
[...]
Thanks, will check these.

EDIT:
Well, my ISP decided to make static ip a very hard to get trophy, linked solutions are a bit over my skill or understanding too. Will visit local showroom hoping I'll get something done in flesh.
11 years since IPv4 shortage, I hope devs will catch up catch up eventually :D

Return to “Technical Help”