Can I play without Steam?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
zosq
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Can I play without Steam?

Post by zosq »

I purchased the game on Steam. It has been working really well but recently as I am growing my factory, there is loss in UPS. My current base is only about 100 spm and I know I can build much bigger without such big drops in UPS.

Upon further investigation I came to the conclusion that Steam is causing these issues my mac. So I quit Steam and the game automatically quit along with it. I read somewhere that Steam needs to run when playing most games. My question is, is there a way to decouple Steam from Factorio so I can keep growing my factory?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Can I play without Steam?

Post by Loewchen »

You can get the steam free version from factorio.com, check the local faq.

zosq
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by zosq »

Thank you so much for the very quick reply. I managed to login using Steam and I am able to see the download link.

If I uninstall the Steam version and reinstall, would all my save games be retained or do I need to backup and copy old files once reinstalled?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

You will not see save files from the steam install in the factorio.com installation as they use different directories, but you can move them.

zosq
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by zosq »

I will backup and install. Thank you for your help!

Return to “Technical Help”