GUIs are ridiculously small

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

GUIs are ridiculously small

Post by Pi-C »

I've issues with the graphics: The GUIs are ridiculously small:
GUI.png
GUI.png (2.45 MiB) Viewed 1010 times
Incidentally, I also udated the Nvidia drivers to 450.57-2 (on Debian/sid) just this afternoon, so perhaps there's something wrong with that. I'm currently downloading Factorio 0.18.46 to try if downgrading will change anything (may take a while until the download completes, though).
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: GUIs are ridiculously small

Post by valneq »

Did something mess with the UI scale settings? Go check under Settings → Interface.

On my system it defaults to 125% because of the size of my screen. Maybe if your screen is very big and the UI scale is set to 75%, this could be the result.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

valneq wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:21 am
Did something mess with the UI scale settings? Go check under Settings → Interface.
Impossible -- I could load a game because I knew how to get to the list of saved games, but everything in the menus was so small as to be unreadable.
On my system it defaults to 125% because of the size of my screen. Maybe if your screen is very big and the UI scale is set to 75%, this could be the result.
I've looked directly in config/config.ini and found

Code: Select all

custom-ui-scale=0.250000
After I've changed this to 1.00, everything works as expected again. I'm still wondering how a simple update would mess with the configuration, because I definitely didn't do it (unless there is a secret keyboard shortcut that I may have used without realizing it ).
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by boskid »

You may change GUI scale using Ctrl+NumPlus, Ctrl+NumMinus and change it to 100% using Ctrl+Num0. Maybe you accidentaly pressed one of those?

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

boskid wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:22 am
You may change GUI scale using Ctrl+NumPlus, Ctrl+NumMinus and change it to 100% using Ctrl+Num0. Maybe you accidentaly pressed one of those?
It may well be, I don't quite remember. Also, I've been copying my Factorio installation to another folder for testing a saved game with a lot of mods I didn't want to clutter my main game, and the GUI issue was in both copies. Then again, I couldn't even tell whether I've made the copy before or after the GUI was scaled down.

Anyway, it's working again. Thanks to everybody helping me trying to guess what was wrong. :-D

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

I'm pleased you go it sorted, and I came to suggest that CTRL+PLUS/MINUS controls GUI size too. Quite what caused yours to change so drastically seems odd, but I have an inkling: Have your video drivers updated recently, or your GPU crashed and recovered?

The GUI percentage size seems to be based on the current desktop resolution rather than scaled according to the current window size - when not full screen. However, this does not translate correctly when using multiple monitors (My laptop is 1920x1080, but also drives a 3840x2160 monitor) I often have to manually scale the GUI when switching between desktop mode and mobile. It's either too large when switching from monitor to laptop, or too small going the other way. The actual window dimensions are the same albeit using less of the physical screen area. I would expect the percentage scaling to accommodate the window size in pixels alone. I speculate that maybe the GPU drivers, or something else, may have reset the desktop or window size, and consequently caused Factorio the set the diminished GUI scaling.

I have also had the odd GPU crash and recovery, and that caused the GUI scale in Factorio to change when an incorrect desktop resolution was restored. I had dismissed it at the time, but your problem may well be related.

As an aside, but related, Factorio seems to tolerate a GPU crash and recovery while windowed, but not maximised, and does not like the UHD monitor being disconnected while full screen either. Full screen meaning exclusive, which I would expect to be treated as a lost device, but also a maximised window - I habitually run in a window slightly less than maximised as a workaround. I hope these observations help someone else.

[Edit for clarity]

Return to “Technical Help”