[0.16.51] OS Freeze - forced restart

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Cybuch
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.16.51] OS Freeze - forced restart

Post by Cybuch »

Good morning
Given use-case might be quite difficult to reproduce but I will try to describe problem as well as I can.

Hardware specs:
Just recently bought laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570

Background:
I have Factorio in my background during my work. As a programmer that works on big project, compilation time might take sometimes 30+ minutes. During this time I like to make some stuff on Factorio application.

Steps to reproduce:
- using all hardware resources in ~100%, mostly CPU
- having long-running Factorio application in my background ( problem occured so far only with Factorio application )

Won'ts:
- You don't need to maximize Factorio application. It might be in the background
- Application might be paused

What will happen:
There is one of 2 outcomes that happened for me:
1. Application might be fully frozen.
In this use-case I am able to forcefully close application trying to kill process. As a result in my OS I can't see application running anymore. HOWEVER, it is still in process list. As a result I am not able to open Factorio again without restarting OS.
Additionally: when I am trying to restart OS, it will be 100% time in "restarting system" state. ( my machine has been left in this state for whole night )
2. OS might be fully frozen:
In this scenario whole system is literally dead. I can't move mouse, I can't execute CTRL+Shfit+Esc shortcut. Hardware restart is only one option here

Logs:
I think "current" one are on situation when OS was fully frozen
Attachments
factorio-previous.log
(3.09 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
factorio-current.log
(4.17 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

raziel23x
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.16.51] OS Freeze - forced restart

Post by raziel23x »

this has been addressed here with my original problem

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=64356

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

I kind of doubt that he has Steam installed on his work PC ? ;)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

My suspicion is that you are running out of free RAM and OS is paging for its life.

Compiling Factorio easily eats 10 GB of RAM for me, so I wonder how much memory does it take to build your project. Factorio is also RAM hungry, so it might be "straw" that broke cammels back.

In the logs you posted, you have just ~1 GB of free RAM when Factorio was starting, and only 8 GB free space in page file ... I assume you weren't running compilation at that time.

Cybuch
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Cybuch »

Yup, that is exact issue that has been addressed. Compilation was running, and most of resources has been used. It would be nice ( although I believe it is not high priority problem ) to have in the future thrown exception that will close in this application to avoid situation on which OS is frozen, and restart is required.

On by the way, project I was running on UE4 has been eating around 6-7 GB of ram during compilation process ;)

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Cybuch wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:49 pm
Yup, that is exact issue that has been addressed. Compilation was running, and most of resources has been used. It would be nice ( although I believe it is not high priority problem ) to have in the future thrown exception that will close in this application to avoid situation on which OS is frozen, and restart is required.

On by the way, project I was running on UE4 has been eating around 6-7 GB of ram during compilation process ;)
If the allocation fails it will throw an exception and exit the application. But if the OS keeps paging and never fails the allocations there's nothing we can do. From the programming side everything is working exactly as it was told to work.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Technical Help”