[0.16.51] [Windows] Frame-Drop on Multiplayer

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Eiermann
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.16.51] [Windows] Frame-Drop on Multiplayer

Post by Eiermann »

Hello Folks,
im playing with serveral friends on a private factorio server. Unluckily my frame-rate is dropping pretty hard from time to time since we expanded our territory. The game is currently unplayable for me. Tried different steps to fix my problem - without any positiv results. Im the only person on the server who get such frame-drops.

My current setup:
- Windows 10
- i7-7800X @ 3.50 GhZ (6 Cores / 12 Threads)
- 16+ GB of RAM DDR4
- nVidia 1060 GTX with 6GB

Workload while playing:
- CPU 18% (Factorio: 10%)
- RAM 56% (Factorio: 3.3GB / 20%)
- HDD 1%
- ETH 1%

What i have tried so far:
- checked my RAM modules with MemTest
- updated the nvidia driver
- updated other drivers (network, etc)
- checked bios (correct ram & cpu clocks)
- played the exact same savegame online (multiplayer) and offline with the exact same settings (offline is running smoothly)
- restart all server relevant services
- killed all units on the server via kill_all_units()
- played other games to see if the problem happens elsewhere
- different ingame settings (graphics, rendering threads, etc)

The only problem i currently see i a huge difference in the "wait for update" debug info.

Steps to repoduce:
- load the save-game in a dedicated server
- walk around a bit and zoom out max

Attachments:
- fps-drop-online.png: show-time-usage
- fps-drop-offline.png: show-time-usage
- factorio-previous.log: the previous log-file
- factorio-current.log: the current log-file
- FREE-2018.zip the save-game is used for debugging

Save-Game: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eGjoW ... xXRncicyD3

If you need further information, please let me know! :-)

Best regards,
Alex
Attachments
factorio-previous.log
(30.85 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
factorio-current.log
(7.11 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
fps-drop-online.png
fps-drop-online.png (4.72 MiB) Viewed 3077 times
fps-drop-offline.png
fps-drop-offline.png (4.73 MiB) Viewed 3077 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.16.51] [Windows] Frame-Drop on Multiplayer

Post by Rseding91 »

Based off the update times debug display I would say you're falling behind the server and it's dropping FPS in attempts to keep up.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Eiermann
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Eiermann »

Thank you for the fast reply. Im not sure this is the issue for the fps-drops because im the person with the fastest internet connection on this server. Any suggestion how to verify this assumption?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Eiermann wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:45 am
Im not sure this is the issue for the fps-drops because im the person with the fastest internet connection on this server. Any suggestion how to verify this assumption?
This has nothing to do with your connection speed. Test if the issue disappears when slowing down the server, see: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3638#p299295

Eiermann
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Eiermann »

After replacing my nvidia driver (again!) the problem is finally solved. I still experience some small drops, but they are very short. If the problem appears again i will add additional logs to this thread. Thank you for your help guys! :-)

fyi: slowing down the server didnt helped.

Eiermann
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Eiermann »

Aaaaaand here i am. Joined the server and had huge lags. I activated the debug settings "show-multiplayer-*" as mentioned in another thread (see screenshot). FPS is currently between 10-40 fps, USP is around 59-60.
Attachments
fps-drop-again-2.png
fps-drop-again-2.png (4.12 MiB) Viewed 3017 times
fps-drop-again.png
fps-drop-again.png (4.3 MiB) Viewed 3018 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Rseding91 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:32 am
Based off the update times debug display I would say you're falling behind the server and it's dropping FPS in attempts to keep up.
It's still this. Your computer isn't powerful enough to keep up UPS wise and FPS wise at the same time and so it's dropping FPS to keep UPS up with the server.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Rseding91 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:02 am
it's dropping FPS to keep UPS up with the server.
Can we have an alert or some indication when it does this?

Eiermann
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Eiermann »

Rseding91 wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:
It's still this. Your computer isn't powerful enough to keep up UPS wise and FPS wise at the same time and so it's dropping FPS to keep UPS up with the server.
What exactly does this mean? I am running a hex-core with @3.50 GHz, the game is installed on a M.2, i am using DDR4-2400 RAM and a new GTX 1060. Since i am able to run the savegame locally without any fps-drops i would suspect the internet-connection (network, router, etc) might be the issue. The server itself is currently running on a Intel Xeon @2.10 GHz. I can easily download the savegame with 20MB/s and more. Could it be that a UDP-Flood or something is causing the issue and the router / firewall is dropping packets?

Could you also explain what the different numbers in "buffer" and "jumps" stand for? Maybe this could help me to solve the issue with my hardware.

Thank you for helping me! :-)

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Eiermann wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:26 pm
Rseding91 wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:
What exactly does this mean? I am running a hex-core with @3.50 GHz, the game is installed on a M.2, i am using DDR4-2400 RAM and a new GTX 1060. Since i am able to run the savegame locally without any fps-drops i would suspect the internet-connection (network, router, etc) might be the issue. The server itself is currently running on a Intel Xeon @2.10 GHz. I can easily download the savegame with 20MB/s and more. Could it be that a UDP-Flood or something is causing the issue and the router / firewall is dropping packets?

Could you also explain what the different numbers in "buffer" and "jumps" stand for? Maybe this could help me to solve the issue with my hardware.

Thank you for helping me! :-)
It means because the server doesn't have to show any graphics it still runs faster than your computer can. The added overhead of rendering and playing in Multiplayer means the server is still able to out perform your computer at simulating the game.

Return to “Technical Help”