[0.16.51] High Jumps, High CRC after joining multiplayer game

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
deathcon62
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.16.51] High Jumps, High CRC after joining multiplayer game

Post by deathcon62 »

We have been having this issue lately playing multiplayer where after I join my game has super low FPS, jumps and buffer rapidly increasing. Typically, this happens when the client can not keep up with the server.

However, seemingly for no reason, this stops at random, and everything plays normally at 60fps. The only thing I can see different is my CRC value in the debugging menu dropping from ~10 to ~2.5

After this happens, until I stop playing, the game runs perfectly smooth. Sometimes it stops after a few minutes, 10 minutes, sometimes it never stops. Please see attached screen shots.
Attachments
Running Terrible
Running Terrible
Screenshot 2019-01-17 18.54.54.png (3.71 MiB) Viewed 485 times
Running fine
Running fine
Screenshot 2019-01-17 18.50.33.png (3.81 MiB) Viewed 485 times

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.16.51] High Jumps, High CRC after joining multiplayer game

Post by Zavian »

Laptop or desktop?
If laptop, are you plugged into a charger at the start, or do you plug in part way through?
Operating System ?
Cpu?
Ram?
(These sort of questions are why the devs recommend always uploading a logfile).
Any chance your operating system is running your cpu in a low power mode and taking a while to switch to high performance mode?
Anything else running that could be consuming cpu cycles/memory bandwidth? (eg next time you want to play on that server try closing all other applications, and as many utilities in your systray as possible, before launching factorio).

Edit: also is the base constantly busy (eg research running all the time?) or do you let part of the base shut down for periods of time?

deathcon62
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.16.51] High Jumps, High CRC after joining multiplayer game

Post by deathcon62 »

I forgot to attach the rest of the stuff, so I'll do it here.

Desktop
Windows 8.0
i5 - 3570k overlocked to 4.4ghz stable
16gb ram.
Operating speed seems pretty constant in CPU-Z, but I cant say for sure.
When the issues resolves itself, it doesnt seem to be triggered by anything we do. Last night, it happened after about 30 minutes of just sitting in place. We have both tried lots of things to reproduce, like crashing steam/internet, opening/closing programs and streaming services.(things we might have done accidentally when the problem resolved.)

We are not currently researching anything and havent for awhile. Were kind of stuck until we get to space(current goal). All the base is really doing is typical processing of raw materials. Were not using any products, so the base is basically idling. I really dont think its that big... we have like, 50-75 logistics robots.

This issue happens on hamachi, as well as a public game. This issue occurs if either one of us hosts, although if I am hosting all the numbers drop together so I'm not experiencing the "catching up" and neither is he.

I tried to upload the save and mods, but I keep getting "Error parsing server response." I'll try again when I get home.

Two specific instances where it resolved:
We had set the speed to 0.3, so I was slowly walking around the base really doing nothing. My friend was afk. As I was walking, the CRC value rapidly dropped from 10ish to 2.5ish. I immediately told my friend, and he sped the game up to 1.0 and it worked perfectly after that.

We had the game paused, so I would stop falling behind. After resuming the game, the problem was resolved.

After the problem resolves, it NEVER comes back unless I disconnect.

Stuff we have tried:
-Rapidly changing the game speed
-Rapidly pausing/resuming
-Changing CPU core affinity and priority
-Opening/Closing programs and services we typically use during normal use
-Stressing our internet connections
-Killing all entities on map
-Deleting everything on the map, including our base
-Nuking everything in the base
-Manually picking up every machine in the base

None of this had any effect whatsoever.
Attachments