Slow map download speed

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
niceone548
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Slow map download speed

Post by niceone548 »

Hello,

I have a problem with my windows docker hosted map. The download speed stays at 700 ~ 800 KB when I run factorio on said machine and connect to the docker map.
download speed ingame.jpg
download speed ingame.jpg (6.58 KiB) Viewed 14503 times
The same goes for the computer on LAN AND people from the outside.

When I change /config set max-upload-speed to 10, it will drop to 10 at the connecting client.
When I change it to 100000 or 0 I get back to the hardcap of 700 ~ 800 KB.

I first thought that maybe docker was limiting my speed
speedtest.jpg
speedtest.jpg (27.44 KiB) Viewed 14503 times
Yes it limits it a fair amount compared to the baremetal speedtest, but it's still allot more then 800 KB
speedtest host.jpg
speedtest host.jpg (12.99 KiB) Viewed 14503 times
So now I'm in a bit of a loss why the speed is so low...

Here are some general settings / computer specs.
speccy.jpg
speccy.jpg (63.35 KiB) Viewed 14503 times
docker settings.jpg
docker settings.jpg (68.3 KiB) Viewed 14503 times

Code: Select all

docker run -d \
  -p 34197:34197/udp \
  -p 27015:27015/tcp \
  -v d:/factorio:/factorio \
  --name factorio2 \
  --restart=always \
  dtandersen/factorio

CJ5Boss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Slow map download speed

Post by CJ5Boss »

I am not sure why, but the same thing happens to me when I load a multiplayer map that is not on my machine, and when friends try to join mine it happens to them as well. I wonder if this is a recurring theme across factorio right now, and may not be a machine or internet issue.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Try removing the limit completely (set it to 0 in the factorio server config).
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

niceone548
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by niceone548 »

"max_upload_in_kilobytes_per_second": 0,

I never changed it, it was always on this.

TheoMarque
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheoMarque »

Sorry for update this topic after year but I have the same problem.
We tested Factorio at work (testing game servers professionally) and noticed a problem with sending data to clients.

We created isolated network, with internal connections (more than 1 Gbit throughput) , and a problem every time is with factorio server software. Never speed up over 14 Mbyte/s. Testing on large vanillia/modded map, both the same situation.

Vanillia config for server and game, no limited speeds anywhere.

BulitIn gameserver works wore than dedicates Factorio headless server, but NEVER we acquire speeds more than 14 Mbytes/s.

A problem must be in Factorio server network.

Someone may ask, why a map download speed is that important? few minutes in many hours game?

- reconnecting, every time you need download whole (300Mbytes) map.
- catching up, if you slowly downloading a map, data to catching up stacking and take sometime minutes to load game. some time, autosave broke catching up and you stard connecting again.

If you testing many configurations, many servers, many situations, slowly downloading map may frustrate because consume more time than other things.

@Devs - I can add many logs, data, configs to resolve problem.

CrushedIce
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CrushedIce »

I agree that the map download seems to behave weird sometimes.
When my friend joins my game he sometimes starts downloading with 4 MB/s but then after around 25% it drops to 1.6 MB/s.
I have 1 Gbit/s upload and he has ~50 Mbit/s download speed.

It is of course not a critical issue but maybe the devs have time to take a look at potential optimisations.

SpwnX
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SpwnX »

I have the same problem since a long time too and I dont have any shenanigans, just a regular windows 10 with a steam client. Also my hardcapped download speed is the same as OP's (700 kB/s)

Still happens as of 0.18.10

Arentho
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Arentho »

I got a server hosted at Nitrado running the latest experimental version. I'm playing with a friend and he has a slowed down to 40kb/s map download speed everytime he connects. I can download at normal speed up to 7mb/s or something. This becomes a bigger problem the bigger the map/savegame gets...

if this is around for over a year now - why has no one found a solution to this? =/

Kalixt
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kalixt »

Something isn't right with downloading speeds. I have 1 Gbit ports on my local network, I am able to transfer files from server (same server that hosts factorio server) with 120MB/s speed yet, factorio downloading map speed is 12,9MB/s max.

"_comment_max_upload_in_kilobytes_per_second": "optional, default value is 0. 0 means unlimited.",
"max_upload_in_kilobytes_per_second": 0,

I always had 0 here.

Is there somewho who is able to download map faster than 12,9MB/s (100 mbit) over local network ?

superbnoobster
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by superbnoobster »

Any update on this issue? I started to have this issue on my headless linux server. I've used to download the map at 3.5 mb/s speed. Now out of nowhere I'm getting 200 kb/s and it takes very long time to join now. I have no idea what caused or triggered this. I have ~8 mb/s download speed and the server has faster upload speed than that, so network speed is not the issue.

Update edit: I have no idea why but I no longer have this issue. Download speed became fast again on my server. Really weird.
Last edited by superbnoobster on Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Derim422
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Derim422 »

We're also seeing a drop from 9.8M down to 1.2M since the most recent update (1.1.39) on a headless server. All our speedtests are showing much better performance (350M+/350M+).

Dzyu
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Dzyu »

My friend also only gets 1.2mb/sec when connecting to me. Speedtests give close to 200 up and down, even when running speedtest while he's downloading map. Map's gotten so big it takes minutes and we have to pause to not get weird autosave issues (it saved 3 times in short order and started lagging the game immensely for him.)

We think it broke our savegame as he will lag more and more in a matter of minutes, get 2-3 frames per MINUTE soon enough, and this is despite stopping the factory and not agitating biters, both of which only gave some fps/ups drop for us before when going full steam. Game will somtimes say it's dropping him, but he hasn't been dropped yet from it.

lyvgbfh
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lyvgbfh »

I'm seeing some behavior like this on wired LAN too, max 600kbps download. Has anyone found a solution that works for them? File transfers between PCs saturate disk bandwidth easily.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

sounds like faulty network hw or configuration. make sure your tcp window scaling is working correctly. mine doesn't, i had to tweak the whole network stack (Linux)

lyvgbfh
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lyvgbfh »

ptx0 wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:31 am
sounds like faulty network hw or configuration. make sure your tcp window scaling is working correctly. mine doesn't, i had to tweak the whole network stack (Linux)
Both PCs are Windows so I'm not sure if it's the same, but I did ensure window scaling is enabled.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

lyvgbfh wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:00 am
ptx0 wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:31 am
Both PCs are Windows so I'm not sure if it's the same, but I did ensure window scaling is enabled.
i had to first disable mine which reduced the max throughput to 600kB/sec but it was at least, reliable. the max speed without window scaling depends on the latency of your connection to the server.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... -too-early

here's some info you might be able to use to test various changes here.

Teyx
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Teyx »

Hi!
I also have this problem. But a few things might be different:

- It appears as if Factorio uses percentages for how fast you may download: I often travel between two places. One of which has 5MB/s download speed (Factorio then downloads the map with 1.2MB/s). The other place has 10MB/s download and the map there downloads with 3.5MB/s.
- I'm not joining on a dedicated server, but on a friends PC.
- He has 7MB/s upload.
- Said friend uses Linux while I use Windows.

The result of it also is that I'm really laggy/stuttery when at the slower internet place. We're talking about 5 FPS inside our factory.
Is it hardcoded into the game somewhere, that you can't use more than a particular percentage of your speed?

Edit: Well or it might be my upload. Because my upload is a measly 200kb/s... Well this post is kind of 2 problems in one. :D
Last edited by Teyx on Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Derim422
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Derim422 »

So it is interesting now. Everyone who plays on my server (Australia, Russia, USA within 50 miles) has no issues, but whenever I join, I lag out and stutter.

I have a feeling these are all related, but different, issues, so I was going to try again once we hit 2.0.

morsk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by morsk »

This was mine from 2019: [SOLVED] Extremely Slow Map Download on New Computer

Unfortunately the solution was changing hardware. My best guess is one half of the connection sends too many UDP packets, then over-corrects by slowing down far too much, but it is only a guess. We need more diagnostic information from Factorio during map download to even know how common this is, so people can tell it's happening and give more and better reports of the problem.

Return to “Technical Help”