[0.16.51] Game does not launch with my laptop's Nvidia GPU

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
davmc
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.16.51] Game does not launch with my laptop's Nvidia GPU

Post by davmc »

Hi,

My factorio install will not launch when run with my laptop's dedicated Nvidia GPU. The loading screen stops at zero percent and the window freezes, then Factorio is shown as not responding by windows task manager. Factorio will only launch when set to run with the integrated graphics chip, but obviously, this impacts performance significantly. The game also does not start when forced to run in opengl mode or configured with minimum graphics settings. I have attached logs but the game does not appear to crash, it just stops loading.

To try and fix the problem I have uninstalled and reinstalled my intel and nvidia drivers normally and then again with DDU. This had no effect.

I also have other issues that may be related, where my steam store page does not load when gpu acceleration is enabled with my Nvidia GPU. The geforce experience interface also does not load when set to render with my Nvidia GPU. It only loads with integrated graphics.

Any thoughts on what might be causing the problem and how to sort it?

The laptop is an XPS 15 9950 with Intel HD Graphics 530 and an NVIDIA Geforce GTX 960m.
Attachments
factorio-current_opengl.log
With opengl forced in steam launch options
(1.83 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
factorio-current.log
(3.11 KiB) Downloaded 51 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.16.51] Game does not launch with my laptop's Nvidia GPU

Post by Loewchen »

Try launch option: --single-thread-loading

davmc
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by davmc »

Loewchen wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:05 am
Try launch option: --single-thread-loading
This launch option doesn't seem to have any effect on the problem, the window still freezes on launch at 0%.

Think this issue is probably display driver related, but I don't know why reinstalling the drivers did not fix the problem.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
for single thread loading
(2.54 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

davmc
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by davmc »

SOLVED: The problem I was having seems to have been caused by a piece of software I had installed, called Duet Display, which lets you use an iPad as a PC monitor. Removed it and that fixed the problem pretty much instantly.

Return to “Technical Help”