[0.16.51] Random Stuttering/Lag Followed by crash

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
dayzfanatic
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.16.51] Random Stuttering/Lag Followed by crash

Post by dayzfanatic »

***Noticed after the fact this should be in Technical Help not Bug Report. May a staff member please move this for me?***
What did you do?
Was just playing normally. The issue seemed to begin happening once I got a large game going.

I actually did a few things on my side, thinking it might have been a software issue on my end.
Originally when this problem started I had a GTX 660 TI, I have since upgraded to a GTX 1050 TI
Originally I had 1TB HHD for all my compute, I have since upgraded to having 2 HHD. Local being 1TB and the new being solely for gaming @ 2TB
I was monitoring Task Manager before this recent crash, CPU was around 9-15%, Memory was around 90-97%, Disk was around 30-50%
What happened?
There is no specific time, I noticed that it starts to stutter. It some times resolves itself but other times the game will freeze, then my mouse will start to lag to movement. Then the mouse will freeze 100%. Shortly after that my monitors turn off, then go to sleep while my PC is still running.

One time after the freezing and during the time the monitors shut off, they instead bluescreened and showed an error "System_Service_Exception"
What did you expect to happen instead? It might be obvious to you, but do it anyway!
Honestly, with all the changes I made to my hardware I was sort of expecting the problem to be gone.
Extras?
If you need more information let me know and I will do my best to get it for you!
Attachments
Solo Post Fight.zip
Most Recent Save I was able to make
(8.33 MiB) Downloaded 41 times
factorio-previous.log
(3.94 KiB) Downloaded 51 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.16.51] Random Stuttering/Lag Followed by crash

Post by Loewchen »

The bluescreen means that it is either a driver or hardware problem. Based on what you replaced already I would try a different power supply next, and if you have not already, a new windows installation.
A pc help forum would certainly be better for this and could help you analyse the bluescreen in detail.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

I've seen a page file on a failing hard disk cause windows to blue screen. (It could also potentially cause windows to 'hang' as the drive repeatedly tries to re-read the failing sector).

So I would also run some hard disk diagnostic utilities, and change the disk that windows is using for it's page file.

Memory being at 90%-97% suggests that windows is under memory pressure, and is probably swapping to disk. (Which can also make applications choppy and unresponsive). I would check task manager to see which applications are using the most memory, and think about closing some of them.

dayzfanatic
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by dayzfanatic »

Loewchen wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:16 pm
The bluescreen means that it is either a driver or hardware problem. Based on what you replaced already I would try a different power supply next, and if you have not already, a new windows installation.
A pc help forum would certainly be better for this and could help you analyse the bluescreen in detail.
As far as the Power Supply. That has been changed a few months prior to this issue. Perhaps I should mention this issue only occurs when playing this game. Playing another game, Destiny 2, Overwatch etc it runs fine.
Zavian wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:30 pm
I've seen a page file on a failing hard disk cause windows to blue screen. (It could also potentially cause windows to 'hang' as the drive repeatedly tries to re-read the failing sector).

So I would also run some hard disk diagnostic utilities, and change the disk that windows is using for it's page file.

Memory being at 90%-97% suggests that windows is under memory pressure, and is probably swapping to disk. (Which can also make applications choppy and unresponsive). I would check task manager to see which applications are using the most memory, and think about closing some of them.
The memory only goes this high when playing Factorio. Even when I am playing Destiny 2 the highest it goes is 50%.

Return to “Technical Help”