[0.16] Slow Map Download

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Snowflake
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.16] Slow Map Download

Post by Snowflake »

Hey!
So me and my friend are on our first playthrough and we really like the game. However, everytime we start a new session it takes at least an hour to download the map. We both have good internet (about 770 Mb/s Download and 320 Mb/s Upload Speed), yet the map only downloads at a few Kb/s. It doesn´t matter who hosts the game. We usually just start the download and then do something else in the meantime, so it´s not that big of a problem, but I still wanted to know if the download speed can be improved or if there is another way to share the map.
Thanks for your help, Snowflake

Dergonic
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.16] Slow Map Download

Post by Dergonic »

Hi

Sadly, there is no way of speeding up the download.
Factorio is build a way and using protocols that does not allow high speed transfer

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Are you maybe also confusing units?

You probably have 320Mbit/s upload while factorio shows kbyte/s. Although with that much bandwidth a realistic speed would be 10-30Mbyte/s.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Dergonic wrote:... Factorio is build a way and using protocols that does not allow high speed transfer
That's simply not true.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

adam_bise
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by adam_bise »

My friend and I had a similar issue using Linux to host a map. After a lot of troubleshooting we finally threw the map on a Windows VM and no longer had the issue.

We never found out why the issues were happening on Linux, and I'm sure its not Linux's fault (way too generic) or the game (others run it on Linux fine). But something was causing slow map downloads and unusually high latency (once we started launching rockets etc).

My advise is to test UDP throughput using iperf, and try another machine as it can be a quick shotgun test.

Return to “Technical Help”