Black screen on 16.51

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Velox
Inserter
Inserter

Black screen on 16.51

Post by Velox »

Hi,

This is a new laptop only built last week. Was working lovely when I first installed Factorio. I've been getting a few problems with Steam cloud sync over the past few days (on several different machines I should add - I play it on 4 different computers) noting it cannot sync factorio. I had the error today then Factorio updated, that error stopped and since then I just get the music but a black screen.

I've tried all the minimising, windows key + D, using alt enter to run in a window etc but still the same. alt-enter turns it into a white screen instead of a black screen.

This is an 8th gen i5 laptop, no dedicated GPU. It's an Intel UHD 620 and the driver is dated as 28/2/18. I'm off to seek new graphics drivers, but as it was only installed last week I'm not hopeful.

When I loaded it up, it was running beautifully - 60 FPS / UPS on default settings. I presumed it was something in the patch but given I last used it on the 14th and it only has one very small update plus the fact that going back to the last stable version (16.36) doesn't help, I'm guessing it may be something on my machine. Very strange though given that it was working fine last week and I haven't updated anything since. Possibly a Windows patch...!

I'm all ears if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Black screen on 16.51

Post by Loewchen »

Post the log after a session with the issue, see my signature.

Velox
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Velox »

Thanks. Attached.

I found what I thought was a newer GPU driver but I think it's still showing the same date. It's running on 23.20.16.4973 now.
Attachments
factorio-current.zip
Log
(6.91 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

Velox
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Velox »

Thought i'd update that I just tried a complete re-install inc removing the appdata folder. Didn't help.

Velox
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Velox »

I bring news! After much searching and general dicking about, I came across this post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... ws_update/

Looks like it may be MS to blame (surprise!) and adding the suggested --force-opengl to the Steam launch options does indeed fix it although it's not very stable like that - alt-tabbing bombs it straight out.

If MS is the cause, i'm hoping they'll have a fix on the big patch day which is probably going to be around 10th July now. I'll keep and eye and try to update this if I spot it's been properly fixed.

Cheers

Return to “Technical Help”