Multiplayer issues

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
DjohnyBoy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Multiplayer issues

Post by DjohnyBoy »

Hi, we've been playing Factorio for a few weeks now (3 friends on Steam), but as of tonight, we can no longer play together, when loading our saved game as the host it says "Failed to determine external IP address. Other players might not be able to connect." Once started, when friends search Steam friends' maps, they receive the error "Couldn't establish network communication with server". We thought it might be the usually host's router, so we took turn in trying to host the saved game (ver. 15.34), same exact issue. Other posts are referencing to a solution to simply restart servers, ours is a load game, not even sure how to start an online game. Please help, we play only once per week and now can't, it has been working for the past weeks without issues. Thanks

nascat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Multiplayer issues

Post by nascat »

I think your issue is related to mine, I posted here. Since I posted with logs and a bit more information, there might be an answer there first so keep an eye on it =D.

player8472
Inserter
Inserter

Post by player8472 »

Did you try forwarding the port 34197 (default Factorio-Port) on the hosts router (to the hosts computer) and then connecting via Direct Connect?

My server had massive problems, connecting to the matching server, so i decided to stop listing the server alltogether (also helps reduce the risks of being griefed upon without setting a pw...).

DjohnyBoy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DjohnyBoy »

Yes, same exact error as you. We played last week without any issues. Posting my logs would, I believe, show nothing more than what you've already shared, I'll let the devs work on it since this is related to the game itself and not local/router settings. We went from versions 15.34 to .35 and .36, same issue. Tried port forwarding and connect to direct IP, the "failed" error doesn't show but we cannot establish a connection (verified firewall and it allows all both UDP/TCP). We all took turn in trying to host, we have 3 different ISP, same results. Please give us an update when you can, this would be much appreciated. We have no dedicated headless server, we take turn in hosting a saved game and always make it public with pwd so we could join using your connection servers. Thanks

Mike455832
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Server ID loading

Post by Mike455832 »

I just updated my headless server to 15.37 and my biggest problem now it that the server keeps coming back saying that the ID is incorrect. I have reset the ID file and edited it to make my own ID but it just keeps causing massive lag when out of network with the server. I definitely need help with this ASAP.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Server ID loading

Post by Loewchen »

Mike455832 wrote:I just updated my headless server to 15.37 and my biggest problem now it that the server keeps coming back saying that the ID is incorrect. I have reset the ID file and edited it to make my own ID but it just keeps causing massive lag when out of network with the server. I definitely need help with this ASAP.
Make a new report and read the How to... topic first.

HanziQ
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: Server ID loading

Post by HanziQ »

Mike455832 wrote:I just updated my headless server to 15.37 and my biggest problem now it that the server keeps coming back saying that the ID is incorrect. I have reset the ID file and edited it to make my own ID but it just keeps causing massive lag when out of network with the server. I definitely need help with this ASAP.
Did you not get my email regarding this? The generated file with server id is not to be edited.

DjohnyBoy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DjohnyBoy »

So to close this thread on a positive note, logging out of the account in Factorio's options ("Other" section) and then relogging back fixed the issue, I can now load saved maps and the error is no longer popping.

Return to “Technical Help”