[1.1.35] Overlapping construction areas count "missing construction material" wrong.

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[1.1.35] Overlapping construction areas count "missing construction material" wrong.

Post by eradicator »

What

When two seperate robot networks have overlapping construction areas, then entity ghosts built in the overlapping area trigger "missing construction material" alert if one network is missing material. Even if the other network has already dispatched a construction robot.

Reproduction
  1. Load the savegame.
  2. Place the assembling-machine-2 ghost from your hand onto the hazard concrete.
  3. See the alert while a robot from the right network is coming to build.

(Call it wontfix or minor if you want, but don't NaB-bullshit me again please. :roll:)
Attachments
_autosave2.zip
(856.4 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [1.1.35] Overlapping construction areas count "missing construction material" wrong.

Post by Kyralessa »

eradicator wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:24 am
(Call it wontfix or minor if you want, but don't NaB-bullshit me again please. :roll:)
What's with the attitude?

DarkShadow44
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [1.1.35] Overlapping construction areas count "missing construction material" wrong.

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Kyralessa wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:30 am
Maybe because of viewtopic.php?f=23&t=99360&p=549817. Although the devs are right, it's NaB.

Take the following situation: Two roboports (left and right) far enough away to be own networks, building in the middle.
My test results:
- Right network has furnace. Placing furnace ghost inbetween logistic networks, there's no "missing materials" warning
- Right network has no furnace. Placing furnace ghost inbetween logistic networks, there's a "missing materials" warning. Giving the right network furnaces, warning persists until furnace is built.
- Right network has no furnace. Placing furnace ghost far only into right logistic networks, there's a "missing materials" warning. Giving the right network furnaces, warning persists until furnace is built.

In short, I don't see an issue here. The warning always persists until the thing is actually built. Even with just a single roboport. Now, you might consider that a bug, but it has nothing to do with overlapping networks. Correct me if I'm wrong.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

DarkShadow44 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:49 pm
Kyralessa wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:30 am
Maybe because of viewtopic.php?f=23&t=99360&p=549817. Although the devs are right, it's NaB.

Take the following situation: Two roboports (left and right) far enough away to be own networks, building in the middle.
My test results:
- Right network has furnace. Placing furnace ghost inbetween logistic networks, there's no "missing materials" warning
- Right network has no furnace. Placing furnace ghost inbetween logistic networks, there's a "missing materials" warning. Giving the right network furnaces, warning persists until furnace is built.
- Right network has no furnace. Placing furnace ghost far only into right logistic networks, there's a "missing materials" warning. Giving the right network furnaces, warning persists until furnace is built.

In short, I don't see an issue here. The warning always persists until the thing is actually built. Even with just a single roboport. Now, you might consider that a bug, but it has nothing to do with overlapping networks. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You missed the bit in point number 3 - worker bot is actually coming in to build the ghost but at the same time you get a materials missing alert. Thats only confusing the user because building will be built and material for it is not missing. And you don't care that one of two networks has no materials - one of them has so all is good and it should not alert you. It's a bit of an edge case tho.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

eradicator wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:24 am
Minor issue then

The construction networks have to update in some order,
In this case the left network updates, it has no material, so it makes the alert (Which lasts 15 seconds)
The right network updates, dispatches a robot

So nothing is broken here

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

DarkShadow44 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:49 pm
Although the devs are right, it's NaB.
"The devs" might not be as much of a homogeneous hive mind as you think ;).
orzelek wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:43 pm
It's a bit of an edge case tho.
Was trying to build a base with "cells" of un-connected 1-tile-apart logistic networks for local production before shipping off with train/belts. Not sure how rare that is. In any case I get the "no material" warning really often. Often enough at least to bother trying to get it fixed.
Klonan wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:05 pm
So nothing is broken here
The user interface shows a warning that does not reflect the true state of the game. The ghost is being constructed as ordered, no material is missing. If that is "not broken" I don't know what is. If the code isn't broken, then the design is. I know no software can be perfect - that's ok. Sometimes some edge cases would require too much work for too low gain to be worth fixing - that's ok too. But to me this (and other issues) is so obviously broken that I don't understand what you hope to gain by pretending it is not. I would be very interested to hear your reasoning so that I can better understand it.
Klonan wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:05 pm
The construction networks have to update in some order,
In this case the left network updates, it has no material, so it makes the alert (Which lasts 15 seconds)
The right network updates, dispatches a robot
Ah! I tried again with a cross of 4 networks, and indeed only three of them do produce a warning, if the fourth has the material no warning appears. Also they do seem to synchronize the count of missing buildings if no network has materials (aka only report each ghost once), so there seems to be some sort of logic already in place?
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Return to “Minor issues”