[gfx] [1.1.8] Shadow on pipe is cut off

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
PanTobi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[gfx] [1.1.8] Shadow on pipe is cut off

Post by PanTobi »

Hello !... I'm Tobi :o...
And i found Shadow bug on pipe <3 # LOL xD

Anywaa... its still bug :o...
Because Shadow is cut in half

Look here:
427520_20210109042230_1.png
427520_20210109042230_1.png (106.52 KiB) Viewed 2371 times
Open_me_lol
This pump on left is casting shadow on pipe on right but Shadow is cut in half...
ofc. this situation is only when u have pump on left and pipe on right and only when they are next to each other :o...

Yes i tested it without Mods and Shadow is still cut in half :c...
Yes i tested it with other Maps and Shadow is still cut in half :c...

SS from other save:
I also have video if u want to see: Ugh... why Video is in form of Link instead of... normal video like on every other Forum =_=...
Normaly u just paste it and "PUF" Magic -> YouTube is here... but... here we have only Link to that Vid T_T... thats not fair...

Anywaa hope u fix that soon <3
And Shadows will be beauty again <3

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [1.1.8] Shadow on pipe is cut off

Post by invisus »

Hum, seems to be the same shadow issue as described here: 47292

PanTobi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by PanTobi »

lol... ur ref. is to 0.15 Version...
And its Pipe / Tree shadow bug :x...

Its similar Issue... but not same :P
Here we have Pump / Pipe shadow bug :x...

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

That's just how the game is. For some entities (mostly pipe-related) the shadows are part of the main sprite, so there is no way of avoiding them overlapping a little oddly in some rare situation or other. You can work around some of those issues by using separate shadow layers for pipes and pumps, and guess what: different shadow/lighting issues immediately pop up to replace them. Because there are no shadows and there are no lights, just a bunch of overlapping sprites that convinces the eye that there are shadows and lights 99.9% of the time.

Related issues occur with other things like splitters up against walls, vehicles driving over underground belts, inserter arms behind various tall things, etc. There is no way of eliminating them all. It's not a 3D game, despite its increasing resemblance to one over the last couple of years.

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by invisus »

PanTobi wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:32 am
lol... ur ref. is to 0.15 Version...
And its Pipe / Tree shadow bug :x...

Its similar Issue... but not same :P
Here we have Pump / Pipe shadow bug :x...
Yes it's an old version, but as Deadlock describes, this is more to do with the nature of the game rather than what version, or what entity is casting a shadow.

A shadow being cast over pipes... and it's the "same" issue you're describing. The way the sprites "mesh" where the underground sits above or in front of the other pipe is where this harsh line from the shadow comes from. Again, as Deadlock mentioned, it's layered sprites.

V453000
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [gfx] [1.1.8] Shadow on pipe is cut off

Post by V453000 »

This is fixable by removing the shadow from the pump spritesheet, but this will require poking some bee hives. I'd love to fix it sometime later.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [gfx] [1.1.8] Shadow on pipe is cut off

Post by Deadlock989 »

V453000 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:14 pm
This is fixable by removing the shadow from the pump spritesheet, but this will require poking some bee hives. I'd love to fix it sometime later.
If you're interested, I created a few completely different sets of pipe sprites that differ from vanilla's scheme in two ways: they have a separate shadow layer, and they also aren't tile-boundary-aligned. It solved quite a few problems like this one but it created a few new ones, most of which I left as they were because they were so minor (mostly to do with shadows around pipe-to-machine connection points but typically it's a handful of pixels that you have to be zoomed in fully to see). Only one really needed intervention: pumps and also storage tanks also have tile-aligned pipe connections, so if you change away from non-tile-aligned pipes, you have to add a permanent pipe cover interface to both of those entities for the north-facing connections only.

The advantages:

- You never get shadow overlay issues. (The only remaining shadow oddness is the opposite problem of not enough shadow rather than too much - buildings cast shadows over their own pipe connections but not on the eastward pipes that connect to those overshadowed connections, exactly like the issue that solar panels' "overlay" sprite uniquely solves. You only really notice this when you become conscious of it; the same thing applies to literally every entity in the game except solar panels.)

- You can re-use shadows for different pipe materials (not really an advantage for vanilla but still).

- It is a LOT easier to created standardised "pipe pictures" and "covers" that work on crafting machine / pump / offshore-pump pipe connections and pipes alike - texture tiling issues go away because the sprites are clipped by the pipe's geometry rather than the tile grid. This was actually the reason I did it in the first place: it was less hassle to literally reskin all pipes than try and work with vanilla pipe connections.

Return to “Minor issues”