[1.1.4] [Spoilers] Can't insert item stacks simultaneously in rocket silo payload

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
TaxiService
Inserter
Inserter

[1.1.4] [Spoilers] Can't insert item stacks simultaneously in rocket silo payload

Post by TaxiService »

I've searched far and wide but i couldn't find this issue addressed directly anywhere else.

If i insert multiple stacks of items in a rocket silo on the same tick, all but one stacks are ignored by the silo, leaving the remaining inserters hanging as the rocket launches.

When a second rocket is ready, one of the hanging inserters deposits its stack, and again the rocket launches leaving the remaining inserters hanging.

note: all the inserters outputting to silos in these tests are stack limited to 10.

This circuit will load 10 science packs in 10 chests, for a total of 100. When full, a clock starts running for 120 ticks and the inserters will try to output every time the clock's tick count is 1. Hand contents count towards the total amount of science packs.

As you can see, only one inserter is unloaded at a time.

this does not happen with wagons, for example.

The same circuit has been mounted on a train which will depart on circuit condition: Anything > 0, and this is what happens:

Every inserter deposits its stack simultaneously.

As a sanity check, i've set each inserter to output on a different tick from 1 to 10, and this is what happens:

In this case only the first two inserters are able to output to the wagon, but on the second pass it is able to collect the remaining 80.

I have also tried outputting from wagons to silo for science, but the results don't change.

edit:
to be clear, i would expect all the inserters to unload simultaneously like how it happens with wagons. /edit

How much of this is intended? Why won't the silo let me do this? Is there something i am missing?

In my search i've found these posts
viewtopic.php?p=501659#p501659
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=78854
in which it is noted how intentional some design decisions are.

Is the game trying to tell me i am not supposed to automate this? That this is supposed to be something made manually?
Thanks for your time and much love <3

included map used to take the vids
fishgentest.zip
builds seen in the op
(9.99 MiB) Downloaded 138 times

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [1.1.4] [Spoilers] Can't insert item stacks simultaneously in rocket silo payload

Post by orzelek »

I think I'm a bit confused - am I seeing correctly that all science pack inserters are set up to put them into rocket silo?

Rocket on auto launch will trigger when something is put in it. So one inserter can put what it holds into it and then it launches preventing other inserters from activating.

TaxiService
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [1.1.4] [Spoilers] Can't insert item stacks simultaneously in rocket silo payload

Post by TaxiService »

I can see that! The question is: why?

Is this a bug? Or is this the inteded way for the silo to work?

I don't see any reason the silo should behave differently from a wagon.
my mods and 'prints

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Moving to minor issues as there is no "clean" answer. If the rocket waited until the input stack was full it would just delete almost all of the science as the fish don't stack anywhere near that high.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

TaxiService
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TaxiService »

that's the purpose of all that circuitry i built. It only inputs exactly 100 items on the same tick.

I am not saying it should wait for a full stack. I am saying that if i synchronize a number of inserters to output to the silo simultaneously, the silo prevents me from doing that.

Was it purposely designed this way? Because the game lets me produce things with a silo. I have written the circuitry to do it efficiently, but i can't achieve efficiency because in this particular case the game misbehaves.

I understand this issue wouldn't be a top priority, but it still feels like kind of a grave inconstincency.
my mods and 'prints

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Rseding91 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:47 pm
Moving to minor issues as there is no "clean" answer. If the rocket waited until the input stack was full it would just delete almost all of the science as the fish don't stack anywhere near that high.
seems like it should though, as this would work fine for satellites that don't stack, as well as fish that stack to 100.

as it is, the silo will delete whole stacks of space science when you insert satellites while output is full.

SupplyDepoo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SupplyDepoo »

+1 I want to efficiently automate fish to be able to make more legendary spidertrons/fish in the expansion (assuming quality modules work in this case).

Return to “Minor issues”