[1.0.0] Typing while dragging to select in a text field selects newly typed text

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[1.0.0] Typing while dragging to select in a text field selects newly typed text

Post by sparr »

1. Focus any text input field, like naming a save game or a blueprint
2. Type "asdf"
3. Position your mouse cursor between "s" and "d" and push the mouse button down
4. Move the mouse to the right without releasing the mouse button, highlighting "df"
5. With the button still held down, type "xyz"
6. Notice that you now have "asxyz", there is no selection, and the cursor is after "z"
7. With the button still held down, move your mouse
8. Notice that "xyz" is selected, and additional typing will overwrite it

I think this behavior is a bug, although a small one. It hits me most often when I am trying to quickly change blueprint grid sizes and I end up with "2" instead of "32" because I typed the "3" before releasing the mouse button from selecting whatever I'm overwriting.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.0.0] Typing while dragging to select in a text field selects newly typed text

Post by Klonan »

To me it seems to work fine, the way selection, mouse cursor, and overwriting works.

For now I will say its not a bug

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [1.0.0] Typing while dragging to select in a text field selects newly typed text

Post by sparr »

Without checking all of them, I can confidently say this is not the interaction paradigm in tens of thousands of other gui applications with textboxes and a mouse cursor, not lease being the web browser I'm typing in right now.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Minor issue then.

Return to “Minor issues”