[0.18.35] Inconsistent splitter behavior when removing belts at output.

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
M1k3y
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.18.35] Inconsistent splitter behavior when removing belts at output.

Post by M1k3y »

Setup: new Sandbox game in 0.18.35 (build 52959, win64, steam). Attached blueprint in world, chests filled with a few stacks of copper plates.

Changes to the pictures:
- The output filter on the top splitter is not relevant, just a remnant of the previous tests.
- The input priority on the lower splitter is not relevant.
- The bottom splitter feeding back into itself seems to be relevant. I was not able to trigger the bug without this condition met.

Additional infos:
- The size of the loop seems to be irrelevant.
- The top splitter is not relevant to the bug, just a convenient way to permanently top up the loop. Works also with side feeding belts or inserters topping up the loop.
- All information about belt sides are relative to the direction of the belt.

The "minimal requirement" for the bug:
2020-07-08 20_07_16-Window.png
2020-07-08 20_07_16-Window.png (1.25 MiB) Viewed 1214 times

After removing or adding the bottom belt at the splitter items somtimes "escapes" the loop on the left side of the splitter.
This behavior seems to be mostly random and can be triggered by removing any of the first 4 belts connected to the splitter in this location or by adding up to the forth belt to the line connected there.

So far experienced are:
- 0 items escape
- 1 item escapes on the left or right belt side
- 1 item escapes on each side
- 2 items escape on one side, one on the other side (both variations)

Also right next to the bottom splitter a gap can be seen on the right side of the belt. After the screenshot was taken and the gap moved all the way around another item "escaped" the loop on the right side of the belt.
2020-07-08 20_07_31-Factorio 0.18.35.png
2020-07-08 20_07_31-Factorio 0.18.35.png (1.22 MiB) Viewed 1214 times

On this last image the gaps on the belt can be seen. Those gaps only appear after modifying the short belt line connected to the bottom splitter.
Sometimes a gap can get "stuck" (for up to ~1 second) at a turn of the loop and delays the escaping of an item.
2020-07-08 20_09_34-Factorio 0.18.35.png
2020-07-08 20_09_34-Factorio 0.18.35.png (556.32 KiB) Viewed 1214 times

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.18.35] Inconsistent splitter behavior when removing belts at output.

Post by boskid »

Thanks for the report. I am not considering this to be a bug. By removing belts there is small area of transport belt connectables that is split into smallest pieces. Before update order converges it first updates transport belt connectables in some internal order. It may happen that splitter updates first, sees priority output full and then switches to the second output. As long it only happens when building or destroying transport belts near that spliitter (in range of ~3 tiles) it is only a minor issue.

M1k3y
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.18.35] Inconsistent splitter behavior when removing belts at output.

Post by M1k3y »

boskid wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:05 pm
[...] As long it only happens when building or destroying transport belts near that spliitter (in range of ~3 tiles) it is only a minor issue.
Yep, only the first 4 tiles after the splitter cause this behavior. Just thought I let you know about it as it seemed a bit weird. I mean, even the experimental builds are more stable and bug-free than most other games I ever played.

Return to “Minor issues”