[0.18.17] Inconsistent locking of camera controls while game is paused

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
thismuffin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.18.17] Inconsistent locking of camera controls while game is paused

Post by thismuffin »

I have observed the following in local single player freeplay games:

While the game it paused (shift+space with default keybindings) some of the camera controls seems to be locked (they don't do anything) while others seem to still work.

What works:
- opening and closing the map with the M key
- zooming in and out in the map view with the mouse wheel; this allows moving around on the map by placing the cursor where you want to zoom in or out from

What doesn't work:
- opening and closing the map by clicking on the mini map
- moving the map view with the keyboard camera controls (WASD by default)
- dragging the map / view with the mouse cursor

This behavior seems inconsistent and somewhat confusing. I believe it would be better to either disable all those map / camera controls or enable them all while the game is paused. This inconsistent behavior seems like an oversight.

Version: 0.18.17 (build 50462, linux64, steam)
factorio-current.log
(4.88 KiB) Downloaded 51 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.18.17] Inconsistent locking of camera controls while game is paused

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. Since this doesn't cause any crashes or broken behavior I don't consider this worth changing. If one of the other devs wants to change it they are free to but I don't see the harm in leaving it as is.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Illiou
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.18.17] Inconsistent locking of camera controls while game is paused

Post by Illiou »

This was always rather confusing to me too. Either allow camera movement while paused or don't. And if you do, having to do it only through zooming in and out repeatedly is rather annoying.
I would consider this to be of the kind of consistency fix which are you are striving to make for the 1.0 release.

Return to “Minor issues”