Shadows under power lines don't match up [0.18.1]

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Shadows under power lines don't match up [0.18.1]

Post by JohnyDL »

Probably not worth fixing but now I've noticed it, it does annoy me

Power line shadows are wrong compared to all other shadows because their change in height is seen as a change in NS axis

From looking at the game:
The daylight appears to come from the West at about 45 degrees
Wires strung between poles sag in the middle
Any change in height appears as a shift that is functionally equivalent to a movement North/South

An East-West running wire should it changes height along it's length but it doesn't actually bend North-South that's just how factorio deals with changes in height, so why does it's shadow have a sag to the south? The line the wire casts as a shadow, in this case, should be a simple straight line between the two connecting points on the pylons.

The other extreme is a North-South Wire doesn't appear to sag at all because the player perspective looks along the North/South grid but it's height, in theory, does change even if the player can't tell from their angle. So the shadow should project this dip on the surface, because the wire is closer to the ground in the middle the shadow should be further west at the dip in the middle than it is at the pylons.

And every angle in between is some variance of this... even more so with changes in height or the use of circuit wires.

You can see how Factorio renders it here, but I think once you think about it you'll be able to tell just how wrong the shadows are.
Capture4.PNG
Capture4.PNG (1.53 MiB) Viewed 1219 times

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Shadows under power lines don't match up [0.18.1]

Post by posila »

Minor issue, sorry.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Shadows under power lines don't match up [0.18.1]

Post by JohnyDL »

I knew it wouldn't be a must fix urgently :) I'm happy enough that it didn't get moved to the won't fix sub forum

Return to “Minor issues”