[0.17.66] Wrong GUI bounding box in deconstruction planner

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.17.66] Wrong GUI bounding box in deconstruction planner

Post by Nova »

bug red blueprint box.png
bug red blueprint box.png (98.77 KiB) Viewed 3166 times
Please take a look the the third line, fifth box of the Deconstruction planner boxes. I marked one part of the box in blue [1] and one part in red [2]. The blue part works correctly, but moving the mouse to the red part doesn't hightlight the box. Clicking there doesn't open the filter menu. This is the case for all boxes in the last row. Also look at both the left and right part of the GUI part [3]. You can see that the inner boxes overlap the outer box.
This bug is affected by the amount of inventory slots and the vertical height of the factorio window. I play in maximised windowed mode and my monitor has a resolution of 1920x1080. This means that the game window is slightly smaller than Full HD. I've researched the tool belt (10 additional inventory slots, so 1 additional bar), wear a MK 2 power armor (3 additional bars) and play with an inventory mod (adds 4 bars). Together this means that I always have this bug with the deconstruction planner.

How to reproduce the bug without installing mods:
  • Set the game to windowed mode. Change the horizontal size to as big as possible and the vertical height to half that much. (Exact values don't matter)
  • Open a world where you already researched the toolbelt and wear Power Armor MK2.
  • Open a deconstruction planner.
  • If the bug isn't already visible, reduce the vertical height of the window a bit. Repeat until the bug happens.
Oh, and while you already look at that GUI: Please also see the empty space below the tabs "Entities" and "Tiles" [4]. That looks a bit wasteful and not neat. Also the text "Only trees/rocks" is misaligned with the checkbox [5]. The checkbox is also closer to the word Blacklist than to the right [6]. You can maybe change that, right? :D

[You can change the title of this thread if you know a better one. I tried my best. ^^]
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.66] Wrong GUI bounding box in deconstruction planner

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however these kinds of "I made the window smaller than officially supported and things stopped working correctly" reports aren't things we're going to be looking into.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Workaround : move the taskbar from bottom to the right/left, and/or use some software that hides the windows controls.
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Like I said, it also happens with normal maximised windowed. It's not that I deliberately did use a stupid screen resolution, that was just a way to show the bug without installing mods. It also happens in other configurations.
Here's another way to show the bug: Set the UI scaling to 125%. Done. That's an official feature in the game which is running on the recommened resolution of 1920x1080 fullscreen. That should be eligible to be fixed, right? :)
The thing is, this bug only shows that there is some deeper problem in the way you render this boxes. It's like using spaces to indent a text in Microsoft Word - it works mostly, but every change has a huge potential to blow the whole thing up.

@BlueTemplar: The bug is not hugely annoying and doesn't prevent me form using that feature. It just looks bad and is a bit annoying, but nothing critical. Just some stuff which should be fixed before Factorio 1.0 is released - the game should be polished, right? :)
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by invisus »

Has this GUI even been touched by the GUI update/rewrite?

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

To be honest: don't know. It looks new, but that could just be some standard settings. If it's not new and there are plans to overwork it, then this bug report is not important, yes. ^^
Greetings, Nova.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Nova wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:52 pm
[...]
Here's another way to show the bug: Set the UI scaling to 125%. Done. That's an official feature in the game which is running on the recommened resolution of 1920x1080 fullscreen. That should be eligible to be fixed, right? :)
[...]
Nope :?
kovarex wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:19 pm
[...]
The gui is designed for 1080p at 100% UI scale
[...]
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

*eye twitching*

Other way to show this bug: Create a mod that changes the number entity_filter_count of the item deconstruction-planner from 30 to 50. Done. For testing purposes, you can just change the value in the file "[factorio dir]\data\base\prototypes\item\item.lua" on line 506 and then start the game. As far as I know, you support mods, at least when they use the given features of the engine in a correct way.

Maybe I should go through every available language of the game and look if there is one which translates the "Trees/rocks only" part in such a way that a line break is needed. That could move the filter boxes so far down that the bug is triggered again. ... you know what, I will take a look at some, maybe I'm lucky. :D
Okay, let's try Tien Viet Nam. ... um... I can't read vietnamese, so have to guess which button is the load game button. xD

Edit: Well, sadly the GUI just get's wider instead of line breaking. Thanks to Slovenčina (slovenian) for having huge namens for the important parts. That doesn't really look neat, but I don't see an easy way to fix that part. It works and has no obvious problems.
factorio.png
factorio.png (59.8 KiB) Viewed 3075 times
Last edited by Nova on Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings, Nova.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

Nova wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:33 pm
Maybe I should go through every available language of the game and look if there is one which translates the "Trees/rocks only" part in such a way that a line break is needed.
You don't need to do that as all non-RTL-related GUI alignment and layouting bugs will get reported by enough players as soon as 1.0 releases in Germany. German tends to have more letters per word than English or Polish.
If you still want to go hunting, start with German.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Well, I am German and play the game in German, so yes, I can confirm there are some places where the translated words are much longer and look bad. The thing is, that's not what I want to report (at least not now), but this is a real bug which should be solved. Then again, I do see that this is a pretty minor issue which not everyone will ever notice. Please just put it then into "Minor issues" and not "Not a bug" so maybe before 1.0 you can take another look at all the minor issues and fix some for the final polished version. :)
Greetings, Nova.

Return to “Minor issues”