[0.17.1] Placing landfill via blueprint is deceptively hard

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
mr_fancy_pants
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.17.1] Placing landfill via blueprint is deceptively hard

Post by mr_fancy_pants »

Let me just preface this with the fact that I was very excited about bots being able to landfill lakes, that was a huge tedium in late game to do manually.

Ok, so I don't entirely understand the behaviour of landfill when in a blueprint, but it's definitely not how I would have expected it to work.

So I placed some landfill and then copied it (Ctrl-C), then I proceed to attempt to fill in that big lake except... my blueprinted landfill doesn't place over the lake most of the time. It seems that a) the cursor has to be over water, AND b) most of the tiles under landfill in your blueprint must be water. If both a & b are not met then nothing will happen (no error text, no landfill ghosts placed). This is painfully obvious if you take a decent sized landfill blueprint (say 10x10) and try to landfill near any naturally spawning (read: not a straight line) coastline, you'll end up with tons of water left over that you thought you landfilled, but actually didn't.

It would be much much much better if you could just spray landfill over lakes without need to worry about whether or not you're hitting some land with your blueprint.

...right before clicking submit I thought to try shift-clicking the landfill blueprint and that appears to make things work as expected. If this above is intended behaviour I would suggest either adding an error message when it happens or simply revising blueprint placing with landfill to do as it does with shift-click, as I don't see any possible use case for the current behaviour.

E-37
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.17.1] Placing landfill via blueprint is deceptively hard

Post by E-37 »

That is probably intended. If you try to place concrete blueprints partly over water or some other tile you can't put concrete on, it will act the same way. It has been this way since 0.16 and probably much longer. Just hold shift while placing blueprints.\

Think of it like other blueprints. If you have a large blueprint of some furnaces and there is something in the way, it will block you from placing the ghosts unless you hold shift.
Good things come in bags marked "SWAG"

Return to “Minor issues”