[0.17.2] Shift+R sometimes brings up the Steam Overlay

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
Lorash
Inserter
Inserter

[0.17.2] Shift+R sometimes brings up the Steam Overlay

Post by Lorash »

When I press Shift+R to rotate something, sometimes the Steam Overlay comes up. My hotkeys are the defaults in Factorio and Steam, and my keyboard is a 105-key QWERTY.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.2] Shift+R sometimes brings up the Steam Overlay

Post by posila »

You probably need to report this to Steam, we don't do anything don't control the overlay in any way on our side.

staviq
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by staviq »

I'm experiencing the same problem.

Since 0.17, and only in Factorio, when using shift+anything steam overlay will pop up out of nowhere.

It happens randomly, and never twice in a row, once a couple of minutes or so, and is impossible to replicate the second time you use the combination.

I always happens with shift, but the other key seems random, for example last time it happened it was when typing "_" in the console ( shift+- )

EDIT:
I think i know what's going on. Factorio somehow freezes the tab key when alt-tabbing, and when you alt-tab back to the game, tab is stuck in a pressed state, and anything with shift will result in shift+tab being executed because of the stuck tab.
This definitely did not happen before 0.17.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Lol, so does that mean that you'll have to pick between Alt-View disappearing on Alt-Tab like in 0.16, or Steam overlay popping up like in 0.17 ? Man, developing is hard ! :D
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

CDarklock
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by CDarklock »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:57 pm
Lol, so does that mean that you'll have to pick between Alt-View disappearing on Alt-Tab like in 0.16, or Steam overlay popping up like in 0.17 ? Man, developing is hard ! :D
Probably a side effect of switching to scan codes. Solutions are known and readily implemented, I'm sure it won't be long before this is fixed.

EDIT: Assuming it's Factorio in the first place. It might be Steam that's getting stuck, which they can't do anything about and you'll have to contact Valve over it.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

CDarklock wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:04 pm
Probably a side effect of switching to scan codes. Solutions are known and readily implemented, I'm sure it won't be long before this is fixed.
What solutions though?

There is nowhere in our code that says "if any combination of keys is pressed, show Steam overlay"; heck, you can run standalone version of the game with Steam overlay if you add it to Steam as external game.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

I missed staviq's edit ... and following posts make sense all of the sudden. Ok, if it is Alt+Tab related, it might be something to do with logic we have to prevent Alt+Tab toggle alt mode.

CDarklock
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by CDarklock »

posila wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:35 pm
I missed staviq's edit ... and following posts make sense all of the sudden. Ok, if it is Alt+Tab related, it might be something to do with logic we have to prevent Alt+Tab toggle alt mode.
My suspicion was that you get Alt down, then Tab down, but then you never get Alt up OR Tab up. So you think Tab is still down, and then when you get shift, you think Shift-Tab was pressed.

Except! I thought about it for like TWO SECONDS after posting that, and...

This wouldn't make the Steam overlay come up.

For that to happen, Steam has to think the tab key is still down, and if you're not telling it - which why would you - then it's not your problem.

I would still take a look at the code, but if nothing jumps out at you, chances are it's... well, not your problem.

EDIT: Also, I can't repro this issue. I've done all kinds of "alt-tab, click Factorio window/taskbar button, shift-click" experimentation and the Steam overlay does not come up.

staviq
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by staviq »

CDarklock wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:48 pm
EDIT: Also, I can't repro this issue. I've done all kinds of "alt-tab, click Factorio window/taskbar button, shift-click" experimentation and the Steam overlay does not come up.
Do you have the "Minimize on focus loss" enabled ?

CDarklock
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by CDarklock »

staviq wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:40 am
Do you have the "Minimize on focus loss" enabled ?
No, because I frequently let the game run in the background. I'm not sure that would matter, but I could try it.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

When "Minimize on focus loss" is enabled, I can reproduce it. It seems the problem is that SDL will minimize window immediately when handling WM_ACTIVATE message, so I guess that causes Steam Overlay to get confused somehow. So it seems to fix this, we can't rely on "Minimize on focus loss" being handled by SDL :/

nemostein
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nemostein »

Still happening...
Disabling "Minimize on focus loss" fix the problem, though.
"I'd say the main bottleneck is sleep." - AndrewIRL

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by invisus »

I happen to have recently enabled "Minimize on focus loss" and have begun to see this happen, however...

I've been seeing this happen when Shift+Left Clicking during inventory management and interacting with other game/mod GUIs as well, not just specifically with Shift+R.

For what it's worth, this is with version 0.18.21

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

When you do Alt+Tab, the game window (and therefore Steam overlay) won't receive "key up" event for Tab, so subsequent pressing of Shift, will trigger Steam's Shift+Tab action.

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by invisus »

Ah, okay that makes some sense as to what is going on.

So that means that the "Minimize on focus loss" + Steam combination are just kind of going to have this issue with Alt+Tab and the Steam overlay?

Return to “Minor issues”