[0.16.51] Couldn't establish network communication with server

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
notTheNsa
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.16.51] Couldn't establish network communication with server

Post by notTheNsa »

Re-posted since my original post back in September 2018 was in the technical help section, and i'm still experiencing the issue

Good evening guys,

I am having the same issue over and over only with certain servers, i think it might be only servers hosted from other players and not the headless version but i'm not sure.
When I try to connect I get this error "Couldn't establish network communication with server". I will include the log in thethread but I think I have narrowed it down to this:

Code: Select all

1216.587 Warning TransmissionControlHelper.cpp:176: Fragment 0000 failed too many times
1217.438 Error ClientMultiplayerManager.cpp:95: MultiplayerManager failed: multiplayer.not-received-connection-accept-reply
1217.438 Info ClientMultiplayerManager.cpp:573: MapTick(4294967295) changing state from(Connecting) to(InitializationFailed)
Factorio version: 0.16.51

Looking around on the forum, It seems that there are a few people, going back various versions of factorio, that have the same issue but there hasn't been a clear solution.

Some examples of the problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... h_network/

Does someone have a fix or is having the same problem?
Attachments
factorio-current copy.log
(5.52 KiB) Downloaded 74 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.16.51] Couldn't establish network communication with server

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. The problem is: home routers suck. This is compounded by people being on public/business networks behind multiple levels of NAT.

At the moment I don't have any better answer. It *should* work if all of the hardware between the host and the person joining is working correctly but that's a *huge* "if".

In 0.17 we added steam networking support so if someone is hosting a game through steam and you're joining through steam it can relay through steams servers and "almost always works" since it bypasses all of the questionable hardware inbetween.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.16.51] Couldn't establish network communication with server

Post by GrumpyJoe »

about the Steam thing: last week i got some help from Factorio Discord.
It looks like my ISP has SNAT enabled (dynamic ports) which doesn´t let me host a game on my PC, at least not through the matching server , havn´t tried wo tell my friend to connect to my external IP.
Will the "Steam thing" bypass this as well?

Return to “Minor issues”