[for 0.17] "always on top" programs dont work with full screen factorio

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
ellisonch
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[for 0.17] "always on top" programs dont work with full screen factorio

Post by ellisonch »

I'm trying to stream playing Factorio. When I stream with other games, I run a program called "Restream Chat" that shows me viewers' chats from twitch and youtube. This program runs "on top" of all other windows. I've successfully used it with other games like Banished and Rimworld in their fullscreen borderless window modes. My understanding is that Factorio's fullscreen mode is supposed to be a borderless window.

However, with Factorio the chat program does not show up. My guess is that Factorio itself is also trying to be "always on top" and it clobbers the chat program. It works when Factorio is NOT in fullscreen mode, but then I can't choose a resolution (or get rid of the borders).

I'd like Factorio's fullscreen mode to work exactly like its actual windowed mode with respect to being "always on top". Factorio doesn't behave like other games do in borderless windowed mode.

I have Windows 10 x64 and am running Factorio 0.16.16.

milo christiansen
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: "always on top" programs dont work with full screen factorio

Post by milo christiansen »

I'll second this, but in a slightly different way: Factorio does not play nice with alt+tab, specifically it never minimizes. I'm guessing these two things are closely related.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [for 0.17] "always on top" programs dont work with full screen factorio

Post by posila »

Hi, thanks for the report.
These kind of issue will be more likely to be handled in 0.17

download13
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by download13 »

Just wanted to show support for this item. I like to watch videos in the background while playing Factorio and right now it displays over top of the "Picture in picture" window that Chrome uses to display videos if you want to watch while not using your browser.

My current workaround is just to use my phone as a second display, but it's not ideal.

jackthesmack
Inserter
Inserter

Post by jackthesmack »

This issue is still present in the latest version of Factorio. I can't use programs like OnTopReplica while playing Factorio in full screen.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

It looks like this is something to do with having a "full screen" mode instead of having a window the size of the screen where any potential border is simply outside the screen.

If I hit "F11" in firefox to make it fullscreen then it shows the exact same behavior. I can alt-tab the factorio window on top of firefox but when I move the mouse back to firefox it gets moved on top after a short delay. Same with xfce-terminal in full screen mode. I assume everything with fullscreen mode will.

So this doesn't look like something factorio is specifically doing. Could still be some low level library doing it that's common to the three apps I tested, the windowmanager or Xorg. Odd though that windows and linux have the same problem. Can it really be that factorio, firefox and xfce-terminal all implemented this mis-feature the exact same way on their own? Same delay before moving to top too.

Return to “Minor issues”