[0.15] Belts flicker on map view

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
Kamel
Inserter
Inserter

[0.15] Belts flicker on map view

Post by Kamel »

With the new Map view I have a graphical issue with the transport belts.

Repro:
Open Map (M)
Zoom in with the mouse wheel right until the graphics switch from map mode to "sattelite" mode.

Only in that zoom level belts are flickering like crazy.

I made a youtube video showing the effect - best seen in 1080p resolution and full screen.
The red science belt or the inner belts in the smelting area are the worst offenders.

https://youtu.be/O-8mBVvQeqo

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.15] Belts flicker on map view

Post by Loewchen »

I think this is just an effect produced by the repeating graphics of the belts, their movement and the framerate.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Loewchen wrote:I think this is just an effect produced by the repeating graphics of the belts, their movement and the framerate.
Indeed. The colored arrows are showing and then not showing rapidly and your eyes interpret as "flashing".
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Kamel
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kamel »

But... does it not happen for you?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Kamel wrote:But... does it not happen for you?
It does. I just know what causes it and know that's just how it works. Like optical illusions.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Kamel
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kamel »

Okay, thanks :-)

Nofew
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nofew »

This is not an optical illusion. I can tell that just by looking at it, but apparently I'm going to need to prove myself. Here'ya go!

Attached is OUT.zip (Please excuse my horrible naming scheme). I did a lossless video capture of some of the offending belts and then took it frame-by-frame, and this is the result. There's very clearly something weird going on here in the game and not our eyes.

It looks to me like it's either a raytracing issue (Which is weird since I don't think Factorio uses a raytracer in the actual game!) or a mipmapping issue (Obviously far more likely), but the weird part is how this only happens in satellite view. Same zoom level without satellite obviously works fine. If I had to guess, I'd say that someone was worried about how much video memory the satellite view might use compared to regular view and they did some weird magic scaling stuff in satellite view that regular view doesn't have.
Attachments
OUT.zip
Flickering arrows on belts
(178.75 KiB) Downloaded 119 times

Cagbee
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Cagbee »

I have a similar issue where belts, most blue and red belts, will flicker as their graphic resets it happens on the map view but also in player view. its not game breaking or anything just really annoying.

Return to “Minor issues”