[0.12.5] Modules destroyed when modular armor used as ingred

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.12.5] Modules destroyed when modular armor used as ingred

Post by Boogieman14 »

Very much a fringe case as this doesn't apply to vanilla but only to modded games, but I'll report it anyway in case it's an easy change :) When you craft modular armor that uses a previous tier modular armor as an ingredient, any modules that were in that previous tier get destroyed with no warning. I haven't tested what happens when you have one with and one without modules.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.12.5] Modules destroyed when modular armor used as ingred

Post by Rseding91 »

The recipe system was never designed to handle complex items as ingredients (blueprints that are setup, armor with equipment) and as such I don't know if this is really a "bug" or just "working as intended - complex items aren't supported as ingredients".
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

I'm not sure we ever claimed it would do anything else. You also didn't mention what the supposed correct behaviour in this case is.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Fair enough, like I said: very much a fringe case :)
Rseding91 wrote:"working as intended - complex items aren't supported as ingredients".
This can't really be right though. If they aren't supported as ingredients, the bug would be that the game accepts them anyway 8-)

If it's at all possible to detect this state, I suppose a friendly solution might be to just not consider these configured items as ingredients (and leave it up to the mod author to communicate this). But if that's something that'll take more than a few minutes to implement, I'd fully understand a 'won't fix' status ;)
Oxyd wrote:I'm not sure we ever claimed it would do anything else. You also didn't mention what the supposed correct behaviour in this case is.
Something doesn't need to have been claimed to be unexpected ;) It's probably never really been considered, so I'm putting it up for consideration now :)
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Two options. Either apply an error and prevent it, or cause it to drop all the components into the inventory. If no space exists, place it in trash, and if that fails, either drop it on the ground or apply an error as above.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

Boogieman14 wrote:Something doesn't need to have been claimed to be unexpected ;) It's probably never really been considered, so I'm putting it up for consideration now :)
This is the bug reports forum, though, and this feels more like a feature request to me than a bug.
Ranakastrasz wrote:Two options. Either apply an error and prevent it, or cause it to drop all the components into the inventory. If no space exists, place it in trash, and if that fails, either drop it on the ground or apply an error as above.
Not sure what inventory you're talking about: Assemblers don't really have inventories, just input and output slots. They don't have trash either. And dropping items around assemblers sure sounds very surprising.

I suppose an easy fix to this bug would be to make armour and similar items unusable in recipes, modded or not.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Oxyd wrote:
Boogieman14 wrote:Something doesn't need to have been claimed to be unexpected ;) It's probably never really been considered, so I'm putting it up for consideration now :)
This is the bug reports forum, though, and this feels more like a feature request to me than a bug.
Ranakastrasz wrote:Two options. Either apply an error and prevent it, or cause it to drop all the components into the inventory. If no space exists, place it in trash, and if that fails, either drop it on the ground or apply an error as above.
Not sure what inventory you're talking about: Assemblers don't really have inventories, just input and output slots. They don't have trash either. And dropping items around assemblers sure sounds very surprising.

I suppose an easy fix to this bug would be to make armour and similar items unusable in recipes, modded or not.
Oh, I see.
Modular armor, in my experience, is not something you will ever mass produce. You will at most get one per player, ever. Hence, I always do it by hand. Hence I am refering to the player's inventory.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Twisted_Code
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Twisted_Code »

Oxyd wrote:

Ranakastrasz wrote: Modular armor, in my experience, is not something you will ever mass produce. You will at most get one per player, ever. Hence, I always do it by hand. Hence I am refering to the player's inventory.
Yeah, but this would have to be something that the developers apply to the crafting system as a whole, so...
also, if I may: how about leaving it up to a given mod to decide how to handle complex objects? Of course, the default action would just be prevent the object from being crafted, but this would also give mod authors freedom. This freedom could be used to make things comparable to projectred knapsacks in Minecraft. Said items store other items as metadata, yet can be crafted with a dye without affecting the contents.
How to report bugs effectively (archived version)because everyone should know this.
The game's tech tree, a visual reference guide.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Twisted_Code wrote:
Oxyd wrote:

Ranakastrasz wrote: Modular armor, in my experience, is not something you will ever mass produce. You will at most get one per player, ever. Hence, I always do it by hand. Hence I am refering to the player's inventory.
Yeah, but this would have to be something that the developers apply to the crafting system as a whole, so...
also, if I may: how about leaving it up to a given mod to decide how to handle complex objects? Of course, the default action would just be prevent the object from being crafted, but this would also give mod authors freedom. This freedom could be used to make things comparable to projectred knapsacks in Minecraft. Said items store other items as metadata, yet can be crafted with a dye without affecting the contents.
Now that would be ideal. In most extra cases, assuming a single modular armor item being changed into a higher tier, and larger one, would be easy to map onto the new one, if you used more than one as components, it might be a problem.
The ability to, via script, to block an item from various forms of manipulation would be very useful. Disallowing usage of module armor in a recipe if it has an modules inside would be the local solution.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

voyta
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by voyta »

IMHO the natural way to prevent this is that the modified version of the item can not be used as ingredient. The you would not be able to put it into the crafting machine, nor hand-craft it away. You'd have to clear the blueprint/empty the power armor for it to be considered as ingredient.

Return to “Minor issues”