[1.1.70] Inserters pick up items that destination does not accept

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[1.1.70] Inserters pick up items that destination does not accept

Post by JasonC »

Assemblers do not accept damaged items as ingredients.

Inserters will still pick damaged items out of chests and attempt to insert them into the assembler.

Since the assembler does not accept this item, the inserter will get stuck holding it over the assembler.

Since assemblers do not accept damaged items, as with other unaccepted items, inserters should not pick them up.
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

HunD34TH
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [1.1.70] Inserters pick up items that destination does not accept

Post by HunD34TH »

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3638

Describe the problem as best as you can
-What did you do?
-What happened?
-What did you expect to happen instead? It might be obvious to you, but do it anyway!
-Write down the steps to reproduce the bug if you know them.
-Does it happen always, once, or sometimes?
-Be precise! When i click with the mouse on Quit in the main menu... Not: When I close the game.
Provide Attachments
-log-file for every report! Log files contain very useful information such as your configuration, your settings and more context to your problem. Please include it even if you believe it's unnecessary.
-save-file for gameplay or save dependent issue. Creating a small save file that illustrates the issue can help us understand the problem much easier.
screenshots, gifs, webm, videos can help us understand the problem much easier.

I just did a quick test (because it looked a bit absurd), on "vanilla" it does work (as intended) with damaged walls, or half used ammunition, so can you be (a lot) more specific?
What (damaged) item is not working for you (in what recipe), and what mods are you using (if there is any)?

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

HunD34TH wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:03 am
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3638
Describe the problem as best as you can
- What did you do?
Since assemblers do not accept damaged items, as with other unaccepted items, inserters should not pick them up.
Implication is that I used an inserter, an assembler, and a damaged item.

- What happened?
Since the assembler does not accept this item, the inserter will get stuck holding it over the assembler.
-What did you expect to happen instead? It might be obvious to you, but do it anyway!
-Write down the steps to reproduce the bug if you know them.
Inserters will still pick damaged items out of chests and attempt to insert them into the assembler.
-Does it happen always, once, or sometimes?
... ask a silly question ... :P

---

More interestingly:
I just did a quick test (because it looked a bit absurd), on "vanilla" it does work (as intended) with damaged walls, or half used ammunition, so can you be (a lot) more specific?
What (damaged) item is not working for you (in what recipe), and what mods are you using (if there is any)?
Observed with a damaged accumulator and also a damaged solar panel using a stack inserter from a requester chest into an assembler 3 set to construct satellites. Stack inserter configured to read hand contents (pulse mode).

I will determine if it matters whether or not the requester chest is holding other items, and post back.

Mods:

Code: Select all

base
sonaxaton-resource-map-markers
AdvancedArtilleryRemotesContinued
attach-notes
AutoDeconstruct
classic-mining-drill
copy-paste-recipe-signals
flib
heat-pipe-thermometer
helmod
light-overhaul
SantasNixieTubeDisplay
Small_Pole_As_Fuel
SpeedControl
TemporaryStations
TheFatController
timeseries_fixfor110
Warehousing
AutoTrash
ModuleInserter
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however we have no intention of changing this. It would add too much overhead to every inserter for the 99.99%+ use-case of they aren't dealing with damaged items.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

Rseding91 wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:29 pm
Thanks for the report however we have no intention of changing this. It would add too much overhead to every inserter for the 99.99%+ use-case of they aren't dealing with damaged items.
👍

All right. I'll just think of it as one of the maintenance downsides of starting SpaceX from scratch on an alien planet.

Return to “Minor issues”