[1.1.53] Pump speed exceeding maximum when multiple fluidbox connections

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[1.1.53] Pump speed exceeding maximum when multiple fluidbox connections

Post by Stringweasel »

What
If you create a custom pump entity with multiple fluidbox connections then it's possible for the pump to exceed the set transfer rate.
How
Someone posted a bug on my Fluidic Power mod where my power-switches, which are actually pumps, are exceeding their transfer rate. They are set to 5000 units/second, but was measuring 6000 units/s. After some playing with the prototypes I managed to get my pumps to transfer double what it was allowed to.

After some digging I found that this is caused by the pump having multiple connections to the single fluidbox. I couldn't break the vanilla pump at all, until I gave it more than one fluid connection.
Minimal Viable Example
Here is a minimal viable example on how this can be recreated. It doesn't exceed by that much in this example though. I think it only really broke when going into and out of assemblers with fluidbox heights of 1 and -1.

Code: Select all

-- data.lua
data.raw.pump.pump.collision_box = {{-0.7, -0.7}, {0.7, 0.7}}
data.raw.pump.pump.selection_box = {{-1, -1}, {1, 1}}
data.raw.pump.pump.pumping_speed = 2
data.raw.pump.pump.fluid_box.pipe_connections = {
  { position = {-0.5, -1.5}, type="output"},
  { position = {-0.5, 1.5}, type="input"},
  { position = {0.5, -1.5}, type="output"},
  { position = {0.5, 1.5}, type="input"},
}

It's not causing any big issues though.
Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.53] Pump speed exceeding maximum when multiple fluidbox connections

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however I don't think we will be changing this. It would add more overhead to pumps for something that's not really intended to begin with. Pumps are designed to have one fluidbox in and one out. If it "works" with more that's fine but issues like this that come from it aren't something we are looking to address.

I would guess that if we did want to fix this; it would be locking down the inputs and outputs to 1 fluidbox each.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [1.1.53] Pump speed exceeding maximum when multiple fluidbox connections

Post by Stringweasel »

I'd prefer you keep it as is :P

Thanks though! Didn't expect or really need it to change. Was merely an interresting bug report.
Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

Return to “Minor issues”